My amp is draining the battery while parked?

SteveG

CarAudio.com Newbie
York PA
I have a Kicker ZX350.4 installed in a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. I bought the Sequoia 4 years ago and the amp was in it. The amp is about 10 yrs old. When I first bought the Sequoia I installed a JVC double DIN HU. Recently My amp has been draining the battery completely while it is parked and turned off. Twice it drained my in about 8 to 10 hrs. I checked all the connections and nothing is loose or disconnected. I removed the 60Amp fuse near the battery and I have had no problems. Some input would greatly appreciated!

Is the amp powered up when it shouldn't be? Is there voltage at the remote terminal when the amp should be off?
It’s an intermittent problem. I have only come to the place that I know that the amp was draining the battery. I pulled the HU and it does not have a blue/white wire, only a blue wire labeled amp remote and or power antenna. The amp goes to the blue and white wire going to the aftermarket harness. The Toyota side of the harness is pink/blue wire. Maybe an ignition switch problem?

Last edited:
The blue and white wire should be running strait back to the amp
Turn the car/ stereo on then turn the car off
Go into the back where the amp is and see if it still has power.
If it does then I think your best bet is to take a picture of the wiring harness behind the JVC and post it so its less confusing for every one

The blue and white wire should be running strait back to the amp
Turn the car/ stereo on then turn the car off
Go into the back where the amp is and see if it still has power.
If it does then I think your best bet is to take a picture of the wiring harness behind the JVC and post it so its less confusing for every one
I have tried that but it is intermittent. My remote wire is blue, running from the amp to the radio harness blue/white wire. I will try and run the remote wire to the HU blue wire marked amp remote and or power antenna. I will get a picture and post it before I've done that.

If it is marked amp remote then I would use that as you said you are going to do. I've seen the blue/white on the radio harness be for other stuff while the blue is marked as yours is on my old JVC head unit I had back in the late 2000's. Connected it to the solid blue and had no issues. Definitely try that as you said you are going to do.

If it is marked amp remote then I would use that as you said you are going to do. I've seen the blue/white on the radio harness be for other stuff while the blue is marked as yours is on my old JVC head unit I had back in the late 2000's. Connected it to the solid blue and had no issues. Definitely try that as you said you are going to do.
Okay sounds good. Thanks, I do appreciate the help from this forum!

How are your amp connections? Is it possible a strand from the battery+ cable is touching the remote terminal?
Yes I did metalheadjoe. They are tight and no strands. I was also thinking about putting a kill switch on the remote wire or the accessory wire going to the HU. This has be baffled big time. I already had to replace the battery after the first drain. And the second time was with the new battery. Luckily it still works after I charged it up. That probably shortened the life of the new battery too. Not cheap!

I have a Kicker ZX350.4 installed in a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. I bought the Sequoia 4 years ago and the amp was in it. The amp is about 10 yrs old. When I first bought the Sequoia I installed a JVC double DIN HU. Recently My amp has been draining the battery completely while it is parked and turned off. Twice it drained my in about 8 to 10 hrs. I checked all the connections and nothing is loose or disconnected. I removed the 60Amp fuse near the battery and I have had no problems. Some input would greatly appreciated!
You removed the fuse and had no problems. So did you try a new fuse?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.