Mushy Audio Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

eeek5127

Hello! I am in a bit of a somewhat frustrating bind and I don’t know where to start troubleshooting. I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 with 2 Boston Acoustics S65RC 6-1/2"’s front and 2 Boston Acoustics S65 6-3/4" rear speakers hooked directly up. I also have a Infinity Basslink installed with 10-gauge wire going from the battery to the trunk of my 2003 Corolla with rca patch cables. I also had the KDC-BT945U but returned it for the upgraded Excelon. Yes, I am well aware this isn’t top of the line earth shattering stuff. But for me, I’ve been (mostly) happy. I installed the head unit and speakers myself; I have a third party do the sub (need firewall drilling.) The radio sound awesome- zero ground buzz, very, very clean. However, with both head units, it would very intermittently go ‘mushy.’ Meaning, for like 4 or 5 seconds, the speakers would lower themselves. I have no lights dimming on the car or unit itself. The sub sounds like it is still getting power. I can’t get a reason, for example, it’s not like always when I apply the brake or anything like that. If I listened to the stereo while driving to work, 30 minute ride, it would do this maybe once. No big deal, yes, it’s a pisser, but it is what it is. I would deal with it. The KDC-BT945U did the exact same thing, but I returned it only to upgrade. However, yesterday, my battery died. It was past its time. Had it tested and it was spent. I bought a new one, going for a cheap battery, not even thinking of my stereo. The mush sound happened a lot- like 20 or so times on the way home. I removed and cleaned my contacts and drove the hell out of it to force the alternator to put some charge on the battery and it seems to be better than it was. This morning it was back to only one time. I’d like to fix this once and for all. I am guessing I might need a (different) new battery? It seems to be a somewhat lower power system; what would I turn to? And finally, what battery would I ask for at the auto parts store? I have tired searching for help here and various forums, but due to the terms I am searching for, battery usually turns up things about installing a second battery. I did read the Big 3, but would that help with such a small system? Thanks ahead of time for your help!

discribe better the mushy sound........... like it's putting out a noise, but not loud, or the mids/high sounds are cutting out? does your corolla have factory amp, and is it hooked up correctly, or bypassed (needs one or other, if present).... now, i'm pretty sure, but not positive, but doesn't that bass-link need more than 10awg power? what is the power rating on it? as a rule of thumb, i generally don't run anything in the trunk/rear off less than 8......another thing, the problem seems to be directly related to power delivery. i really don't think a bass-link and head unit is call for more than a std. factory setup, but poor connections can plague any setup...and kill the battery.....

The best way to expalin it is like the sound it faded out on all speakers. It's still there, but weak. I see no indicator of any other power drop out- no headlight, interior lights, battery light or headunit lights change at all. The Basslink has a built in 200w amp. The only thing still stock in this is the wiring to the speakers. All new headunit, speakers and sub. I chose 10 awg after asking a few people. I was told an absolute minimum of 12, 10 would best.

well, i would start by checking near your battery. pull your deck back out and check for voltage drop to your battery power. check to see if there is factory amp spliced into the remote wire, and getting good connection/working. is the bass-link still playing when the rest of the sound cuts out?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

eeek5127

eeek5127
jacksonville, fl
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
eeek5127