multiple batteries vs. high output alternators

What are the pros and cons of using multiple batteries vs a high output alternator in a High wattage system?
no real cons to having alot of batteries, its always good to have reserves if you have the space to fit them. For example, I ran my high wattage/amperage system on just 4 batteries and a stock 90 amp alternator for over a year before I upgraded my Alternator.....and I compete regularly of course.

If you cant afford to get a ho alty at first, batteries are an easy way to go....and work just as well if you have enough of em.

dont really know of any really true pro of just using one over the other. you have a huge system with a hioutput alt you are putting alot of stress on the front battery and WILL be getting a higher voltage drop front to back. if you just go with the extra batteries they are only good if the majority of the time the system is being played that the alt isnt being over taxed. if you have a street car and wanted to db drag/meca your engine is off so the extra/aftermarket battery will post a higher score over a stockish battery (there are even higher scores between competition batteries). best bet is to take advantage of both hin the realm of daily or comp rules if you decide to go into competition. for a daily system i like kinetik alot due to their capacity and how well they take a charge d they are sealed.

i ask because i've seen many post (on this forum an others) about people considering either a second battery or a high output alternator.

For competition purposes i understand (sinc your car isn't running)

there are trade offs i wouldnt put in 3 batteries with a 70 amp alt if my system were 3000 watts and i wouldnt just have a 250 amp alt on1 stockish battery on a 3000 watt system either.....

It would seem to depend on the end goal.

A HO alt would deliver more power while driving, but when the car is idling or off the benefit is nill.

A second battery (or more) would provide you with more reserve power for a longer run time before recharging. Plus, they tend to be cheaper.

dont really know of any really true pro of just using one over the other. you have a huge system with a hioutput alt you are putting alot of stress on the front battery and WILL be getting a higher voltage drop front to back. if you just go with the extra batteries they are only good if the majority of the time the system is being played that the alt isnt being over taxed. if you have a street car and wanted to db drag/meca your engine is off so the extra/aftermarket battery will post a higher score over a stockish battery (there are even higher scores between competition batteries). best bet is to take advantage of both hin the realm of daily or comp rules if you decide to go into competition. for a daily system i like kinetik alot due to their capacity and how well they take a charge d they are sealed.
not me. 14.5 at the amp, 14.7 under the hood with a walmart battery and no second battery. imo i'd get an HO alt before a battery.

If you have multiple batteries...The HO alt. will help charge them faster.....A stock alt. has trouble charging multiple batteries...you can compete with multiples on a stock alt...because you can manually charge all before a show on an external battery charger...Your stock alt. will keep them charged till you drain them so far down....

not me. 14.5 at the amp, 14.7 under the hood with a walmart battery and no second battery. imo i'd get an HO alt before a battery.
what are you measuring with high speed setting or just regular dmm? also if you had another battery it would be 14.7 in back:)

what are you measuring with high speed setting or just regular dmm? also if you had another battery it would be 14.7 in back:)
just a regular dmm. and yea i'll spend $130 + extra supplies to gain .2 volts when i don't even compete

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.