Muffled and Distorted Bass on Certain Tracks

Brad4321

I installed two MB Quart PS2-302 subs (12", 250 rms each, wired at 2ohm) subs into my winter beater at the beginning of this year. They are running through a Eclipse XA1000 amp (480 rms @ 2ohm). They sit inside a sealed, 3/4 mdf box at 2.0 cubic ft (subs are rated at 1 cubic ft each sealed). Running a pioneer Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS HU. True 4 gauge wiring and big 3. This is sitting in a 1998 grand am coupe. Stock front speakers, no sound deadening or anything else. Subs in the trunk firing forward into the rear seat.

I listen to either old country (such as waylon jennings, johnny cash, hank williams) or metal (such as children of bodom, metallica, disturbed). My whole goal is SQ, not SPL, although I do crank it on the highway. The subs sound fantastic with the bass in country. They hit clean and hard. I am quite impressed here with the cheap subs.

However, under fast and heavy bass they do not hit clean. Take the bass from Dimmu Borgir - Puritania or the intro of Children Of Bodom - Everytime I Die. It is very noticeable at my typical cruising listening volume (volume level 50 on the radio), but it can still be barely detected at low volumes such as 25 (can hold a normal conversation in the car at this volume). The crispness and body of the tones is all wiped out and muffled and at times the individual tones just run together. It sounds a bit like the bass coming from factory speakers, just quite a bit louder at a lower hz. I have the HU set to "natural" which gives a 0-100hz a +3 and do not run any bass boost or anything of that nature. Crossover at amp is set at about 140hz which is within what the subs are rated for (35-150).

The subs hit individual notes as loud as I want (never tried to find their limit) and clear, but only seem to fail under rapid, heavy notes. This is my first time ever installing subs in a car (or ever messing with car audio, although it has been a repressed passion) so I am not sure what the issue is. No lights come on the amp (clipping light and such) to show that is a problem. I had a friend help set the gains, but that does not mean it is right... My first thought is rapid hits are reducing my voltage. I do notice some light dimming/flickering when it is cranked to my limit (not the subs), but my voltmeter says I always stay above 12.8v at idle. Approx 500 watts through a 4 gauge wire is nothing.

What is my problem?

Subs in the trunk firing forward into the rear seat.
Are the subs sealed off from the trunk? If not, or you have no idea what that means, then flip the subs over and fire them away from the seats.

Yeah most setups will sound better with everthing firing toward the tail lights instead of into the vehicle, unless you take the time to seal off the rear side. If your box is just in normal trunk without a full baffle running across it, face the subs towards the tail lights. Anyway, play some test tones from 60-140 and I bet you'll find your missing quite a bit somewhere and that's probably the issue. Turn it around and see if that solves it.

I have seen video's of that and it works in improving SPL.

Have you calculated the stats of your speaker to see what type of air space they need. Or you just got a box and put the speakers in it?

The sealed chamber is to support the speaker to help the speaker respond. If the space is too little then the support for it is too little.. a cubic foot for a 12" is a bit small. I would use the companys stats for the speaker and see what they recommend.

I have seen video's of that and it works in improving SPL.Have you calculated the stats of your speaker to see what type of air space they need. Or you just got a box and put the speakers in it?

The sealed chamber is to support the speaker to help the speaker respond. If the space is too little then the support for it is too little.. a cubic foot for a 12" is a bit small. I would use the companys stats for the speaker and see what they recommend.
His box isn't that small for those subs. Especially by it being sealed.

Sounds to me like you're clipping the subs pretty badly. How did you go about setting your gain?

Either that or, as was mentioned, trunck mounted subs can sound pretty bad on low notes when not placed properly. Turning them around could help but usually the box needs to be pretty close to the back wall of the trunk when they're facing backward, otherwise you can get a lot of cancellation.

Again. Said it twice. Verify the size of the box. Verify what the woofers need. The companies publish their stats on the speakers. Just make the box fit ideal conditions for best results..
You can say it three more times and it won't be any more relevant. The subs are in 1 cube each and the recommended sealed volume for them is one cube each. That was said in the OP and it is not the problem he is having. It isn't even part of the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.