MTX TC3002 Bridged into 2 ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list

orion25
10+ year member

I have a MTX Thunder TC 3002. I just acquired a JL Audio 12W3-V3-2. The sub is 2 ohm (I was thinking it was a DVC 2 ohm when I bought it)..... Will I be able to run the JL with the TC3002 bridged for extended drives? I am not a "boomer" by any means. I have ran this setup for the past 2 days during my 20 minute drive to work while playing some "almost Boomer" music and have not had any problems. The amp does not even feel hot.

Should I be looking for a mono amp or can I continue to push the TC3002? I am not looking for the amp to last a lifetime but it needs to last long at least thru Christmas when we have to make a 6 hour one way trip. I have been out of car audio a long time (my last amp was an Orion 225 HCCA!!!). I am not sure if current amps can handle 1 ohm loads when they are not rated for them. The TC3002 manual does not exactly say no 1 ohm loads but it does not say they are OK either. Anybody got any experience or advice?

Thanks!

I have a MTX Thunder TC 3002. I just acquired a JL Audio 12W3-V3-2. The sub is 2 ohm (I was thinking it was a DVC 2 ohm when I bought it)..... Will I be able to run the JL with the TC3002 bridged for extended drives? I am not a "boomer" by any means. I have ran this setup for the past 2 days during my 20 minute drive to work while playing some "almost Boomer" music and have not had any problems. The amp does not even feel hot.
Should I be looking for a mono amp or can I continue to push the TC3002? I am not looking for the amp to last a lifetime but it needs to last long at least thru Christmas when we have to make a 6 hour one way trip. I have been out of car audio a long time (my last amp was an Orion 225 HCCA!!!). I am not sure if current amps can handle 1 ohm loads when they are not rated for them. The TC3002 manual does not exactly say no 1 ohm loads but it does not say they are OK either. Anybody got any experience or advice?

Thanks!
I have never heard of single 2 ohm coils(not a big sub guy)but if it is a single coil your amp is only stable at 4 ohms bridged

I have never heard of single 2 ohm coils(not a big sub guy)but if it is a single coil your amp is only stable at 4 ohms bridged
Yes the JL 12W3 is a 2 ohm single coil. I have since posted the MTX on Ebay and replaced it with an Alpine mono amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.