MTX Blue Thunder Legend 15" Specs Please?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hazzard

GA
I recently acquired a MTX blue thunder 15" sub but I cant locate the specs on it and I would like to build the best size enclosure because I dont have one yet. I read somewhere on this forum that older subs need more cu volume then new subs. The version I purchased is the one with the inverted ridge dustcap, single screened vent in the middle of the magnet, Legend Series.

I am hoping someone can tell me how many watts it can handle and what size box to put it in, I could not find the sub on the MTX website support archive and I know it is probably not the same as the new mtx subs; it does have a year date 97 stamped on the back of the cone. It looks like I finally found the right forum to post this in, here's hoping someone can help me out.

Which one is it? Pic?

This it?

8ba4_1.jpg

That's either the 3rd or 4th generation of the Blue Thunder. It's the first series of the "Legend" model I do know that, as well as being offered in a 15". Mid 90's, 300 watts RMS, available in 4 ohm and 12 ohm SVC. IIRC performed outstanding in large sealed enclosures (3 cubic ft for a 15). Ported, I wouldn't go over 4 cubic ft. Tune low.

Thank you the hardknoxlife! I am really looking forward to hearing how it sounds in the sealed enclosure you recommended, do you think stuffing with a little polyfill would hurt? I am going to hook a Hifonics Thor Viii amp to it do you think I would risk blowing the sub with this amp?

Well, if you're using polyfill, I suggest dropping down to 2.5 cubes(and to compensate for the extra power). IIRC the Thor VIII is a 400 watt amp. Should be fine in that box. That's a pretty good low power old school sub. You'll be surprised by it.

I posted this question on the DIY mobile audio forum as well and one respondent provided a link to the MTX archive with the actuall specs for the whole blue thunder line; I though I would share in case anyone else is interested:

MTX - BTL154 Specifications

I cant wait to hear how it sounds in a 3 cu ft box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.