MTX Audio Thunder 302 + Shiva sounding like ass.

8inw7
10+ year member

Kansas
Alright, I have a 12" shiva mark IV.

I used to have it hooked up to an ma audio 1889i and it sounded perfect. I then had to buy the mtx thunder 302 cause i blew the ma somehow while it was in my family room sitting there. Anyways, now when it hits in my car it just sounds f'ed up. Sometimes it will hit REALLLLLLY hard randomly on some random bass beat.

Usually it sounds decent but its incredibly innacurate. Also, Sometimes it just seems like the bass is a second late. And one more thing, When the music has low hits, the sub only hits on like half of em. I think it has to be a problem with the amp, but it could also be a problem with my new enclosure. I dont know if having a small encolosure can cause it to sound like this, but i want to know why and if there is any reason the amp is making it sound like **** before my 30 days is up and i can no longer return it.

BTW the reason i got an mtx amp is cause it was extremely cheap at CC cause they were trying to get rid of it. Thanks.

The random bass hits are part of the compression circuit, which adjusts the gains as it sees fit. I found it to be the most annoying thing in the world. I turned it off. After about 2 days that random volume sway stopped, and hasn't picked up since.

My sugguestion, turn off the compression circuit, and if it doesn't fix your problems within half a week, return it.

Perhaps there is a reason CC tried to get rid of it..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif Othewrwise I dont know anything about the MTX amps.

how exactly would i go about doing that?
On the front panel right in line with the gain / eq / freq knobs there's a hole small enough to fit a paperclip in. Use a paperclip and push it in the hole, you should hear the familiar click of a spring loaded push switch. Now the circuit is off.

Strange thing is, it didn't give an immediate response like I thought it would. I'm guessing it needed to burn off any capacitance it was using before actually stopping. That's why I say give it a few days.

Also, is there anything else we need to know, like caps, uber cheap RCAs, anything like that that'd also effect performance?

Ya the RCAs are real shitty. Ill try replacing those and ill do the button thing you suggested. I'llg et back tonight or tomorrow. Thanks so much raven.

K i replaced the RCAs with decent ones but it hasnt fixed the problem. I couldnt find that button though. here are some pics of the amp.

those same characteristics struck me and my alpine type r's a few years back. I wouldnt figure it out. Sold the type r's and got a pair of Elemental Designs K series. SAME THING. I didnt know what the hell was going on, go to look at the terminals on my box and they were melted like wax. Replaced the terminal and the difference was night and day. I still regret selling those type r's without a blemish on them as "broken" someone got a helluva deal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.