MPT3 files Apple type files sizes, SQ differences, player audio outport differences

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alrojoca
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey there, I wanted to know if 256k files are really enough to hear close or equal to cd quality sound, I can tell the sq difference between a 128k and a 256k, sometimes I think cd sounds better than 256k files, but not always in most cases it is very similar. Applelossless files sound the same as 256k files to me, no benefit and over twice the file size wasting memory space. Anybody using 288k or 320k files due to significant difference noticed on some material? Are files burned on CDs better sounding or players and portable small drives deliver the same results?

I never attended any car audio competition, and I wonder what the standard is. CDs, apple files? Dongles? What size files and why?

Also, do any of you prefer to use the headset jack over the dock port apple jack, I hear significant better SQ from the dock port to USB, or aux, over the 1/8 jack to aux, even though is not as loud, maybe this is just a suggestion from me rather than a question just in case many listen to their mpt3 players through the headset jack, I'm sure thousands do for many reasons.

Thx for any opinions and replies, I hope this helps others too.

I have no idea what's used at competitions but if you can't tell the difference between apple lossless and 256k then you can't tell the difference between a CD and 256k, because lossless and a CD are essentially the same thing. The only real way to determine if you can truly tell the difference is to do some ABX testing, and most people fail those. Personally I rip all my CD's to flac and store em on my computer and just encode those to whatever various devices I have, for mp3 I use -V0.

As for the other stuff I don't think there'd be a difference between burning mp3's to CD or playing then from a device, provided you're not plugging into the headunit through the AUX input or from bluetooth. I may be wrong but I believe those both degrade audio quality slightly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.