Mp3 and XM radio in GM cars?

Kraftwerk

FLA
Hey all!

First time here, nice and informative site you have here. I've got a 2001 Camaro z28 with the factory Monsoon system, and I'm getting ready for a looong cross country road trip during which I will need a MP3 and XM capable system. What head unit would be the best for me? I plan on putting an eclipse woofer in the left rear void, but first getting MP3 and XM radio. Since The factory GM cutout is larger that most all aftermarket head units,are there adapters that will cover this up, I don't want to limit myself to the few GM-sized head units out there ( i know a few have mp3 capability, but not XM too...) Any ideas will be severely appreciated!

K

I don't know if you like Pioneer Premier equipment or not but I've gotten a Pioneer Premier 940mp and I love it. I don't have XM yet but its compatible . But I play my MP3s all day long. Its has quite a big price tag but its well worth it. They also have other units that are both MP3 and XM compatible.

Here is pioneers website just copy and paste it in your address bar.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarAlbum/0,1427,40~4020~4020100,00.html

And if you'd like to buy email me at bobby_solis@hotmail.com and I can see what we can work out for you! I hope this is all useful for you. Happy hunting!

Hey thanks guys, just went and looked at a pioneer unit today the DEH-P7400MP , not the top end exactly but it's what I'm willing to put in to it. I figure somewhere between $500 all in. Does anybody have any experience making the steering wheel controls work with Pioneer units? And does the stock amp have enough power to pull an extra 12" woofer in the back?

K

To get steering wheel controls to work there is an adapter you can buy, it's pretty expensive (i think like $100 CND) not quite sure how it goes in but i know there is one. Not sure about the amp though

I can get you a 7400MP for 289 shipped. I can also get you a steering wheel control module. Its rather simple. You hook it up to 12V, Ground, and there is a wire in the factory harness you hook up also. Instructions are very clear. You have to mount a Infared sensor somewhere in sight of the stereo face. And programming is very easy also. You push a button on your steering wheel then press a button on your pioneer wireless remote to set certain buttons.

Hey thanks for the help, just wired up my 7400 today ($299 in a walk-in store) and it rocks pretty good. Steering wheel controls aren't working of course, but that would be great to get them working again instead of that flimsy remote. So what you're saying is that you have to bypass the factory circuitry altogether to install the steering wheel remote kit? I;d like to keep the dash area uncluttered enough, I'm looking to get the XM tuner w/o the FM capability (don't need that now anyway, huh?) The dash install kit looks pretty crude, know of any higher-end plastic pieces out there? It looks a little shabbier than the factory install, but then again, possibilities are endless now..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Little less stoked about how long it takes to spool up and play and mp3, but it beats having 200 discs in the car. I'd like to replace the factory speakers with pioneer units and also the flimsy plastic covers with some metal ones, they rattle a lot.

K

GM dash kits are usually crude looking. I like Best kits myself. A little more sturdier than your Radio Shack dash kits. The steering wheel controls all run off one wire to the stereo. You don't necessarily need to cut that wire just tap on to it. The module that you got should show you exactly which wire in the factory harness to hook up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk
FLA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
caraudiogod