Morel Tempo 6 Opinions - Sound Profile?

srmd22
10+ year member

Boston
I am thinking about picking up a pair of these for my front doors/triangle components in my 350z Roadster. The old BA's in there are blown, and sounded like poo anyway. I've got a nice JL Audio (500/5? I think) amp in the trunk and a custom 2x10 sub behind the seat, and I'm throwing some meh alpines from best buy in the rear to replace the ultra-crappy stock with a little less crappy.

I am looking for something with nice mid bass, to take the edge of the mid-rangey, trebly sound I was getting with the BA's. Obviously, the low base sound great with the subs, but the rest was sounding muddy and shrill (before blowing altogether).

Reviews of the Morels from this forum seem to fit this profile. But there is one review that claims the tweeters are real harsh, and I want to make sure that that is not the consensus.

Image Dynamics CTX65cs comps have also been recommended, and get some pretty good reviews, so it's probably between these two (although I am open).

Bottom line: what are opinions on the Morels, and are they at all harsh, middy or high endy?

Thanks.

I think the Tempo's sound great, just dont stab them....

Tweeter is absolutely not harsh, very smooth and blends great w/ midrange

Does not fatigue to listen to @ all and im considering turning the tweet up 3db on the crossover //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Oh my, did your Tempo's get attacked, lol?

Thanks for the feedback, I was a bit worried by that one review about the harshness.

hi there,

i'm pretty familiar with morels.

the tempos are great off limited power ( ie ran off HU or a small amp)

for a beginner setup, it'll sound great off vocals and instrumental.

down side of the morels is that once u start to push them, you can somewhat feel the " strain" on the speaker,

my opinion is that they dont really like the power.

but the tweeters are not harsh, so don have to worry.

cheers man

Headshok, sounds like they are not so great for my setup then-- with the 500x5 JL Audio amp. I think this is what fried my original BA's in the front.

What would a similar alternative be, that would handle a little more power? I can spend a bit more if necessary.

Headshok, sounds like they are not so great for my setup then-- with the 500x5 JL Audio amp. I think this is what fried my original BA's in the front.
What would a similar alternative be, that would handle a little more power? I can spend a bit more if necessary.

if u are a die hard morel fan, go for the elates.

those will sing and handle good power.

for me, being an ' atomic ' guy,

try the Quantum 6.5s .

those i have tested on an active seutp, those guys WANT MORE POWER!

installed one in a friend's car ( he was using the Morel dotech previously) and a comment was that, the atomics were a more robust speaker, and it still sounded great.

here's a quick review

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=238&Itemid=54

if u don feel for the atomic, u can try another brand called Hustler, have played with this spkr and the 6.5" driver can handle some good power and kick pretty hard.

they did a review on it over on DIYMA ( gotta search)

have fun man

cheers

I like my tempo tweeters, I was giving them about 200 with my PG xenon 200.4... with the windows down (95% of the time) they sounded perfect, with my windows rolled up they were a bit harsh, but I was easily able to adjust them to my liking by turning the Fader from 0 to R4.

I've since turned my gain down ~15% and they sound great as is...

Do some searchs on those alpine's mentioned. Their not exactly alpine speakers. Rebadged goodness. The only alpine speaker set I would consider running.

You should consider not even putting in rear speakers. Just get some nice comps for the front. The rainbow germs have interested me for awhile.

Cool....Littlepucker, let us know how the Morels work out. If they handle your 150x2, then my 100x2 should be ok.

ALRIGHT i got em. Still need to sound deaden the doors but they sound really good still without it. The tweets are SO nice compared to my old JBLs. They image very well and are extremely smooth. Usually i have to equalize the tweeters down a few db's but in this case I almost feel like i could turn them up.

They also appear to be eating the 150 watts like its nothing. Honestly they seem like they coould handle quite a bit more because I dont see any stress whatsoever. I might have to return em though for a switch out because the surround appears to be coming loose in one spot. I will probably just silicone though

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.