mono amp question

BradyT88
10+ year member

Even though a mono amp has 2 sets of terminals it's the same as one isn't it?

i.e. If I hook up a 4 ohm sub to one set and a 2 ohm sub to the other the amp will recieve it as a 3 ohm load and divide the power between the 2 subs without damaging the amp right?

I would do it to add a another sub to the system, to seee if it would improve my bass. I went ahead and did it anyway and my bass went way up, because the 10 was beating out the 12. I think that's only because the 10 was being over powered while the 12 was being under powered. Since it's 1.3 ohms I don't think I will add it to the system since I don't believe that my amp can handle loads under 2 ohms, that and I don't want to blow my 10.

running 2 differnt size subs is not the best idea

cancelation is one reason,

plus its not good to use subs of differnt configurations like that, im no engineer but the power wouldnt be split evenly thru the circuit

Even though a mono amp has 2 sets of terminals it's the same as one isn't it?i.e. If I hook up a 4 ohm sub to one set and a 2 ohm sub to the other the amp will recieve it as a 3 ohm load and divide the power between the 2 subs without damaging the amp right?
The amp would not divide the power equally between the subs. The sub with the lower resistance would receive more power. Not a good idea.

When you say the subs with less resistance you mean the 2 ohms right. If so it wouldn't be that bad in my case since the 2 ohm sub can handle more than the 4 ohm sub. Like I said before though, I hooked it up and I didn't really like the way it sounded so I'm not going to do it. Also, I've got somebody that might buy my 10 from me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.