2 Kicker S10L5's, 2 enclosures, will monoblock amp work??

Participant count
  • Participant list

hoxie08
5,000+ posts

i <3 drugs
I have 2 10" 06 kicker solobaric S10L5's. They run at 450 watts rms a peice, totaling 900. They are 4 ohm dual voice coil. And I plan to run them at 2 ohms each in a seperate truck box. I see that the kicker 750.1 runs over the 750, as my friends runs at 926@2ohms... this is plenty of power, but can I run 2 subs in seperate enclosures on a monoblock amp? Would I just have them in series or parallel?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ,

Robert

well i think i pretty much screwed up that idea. Read that a pair DVC 4 ohms runs at 1 or 4..... and a pair at 2 ohms runs at .5 or 2.....is that correct? if so, does anyone have a suggestion on an amp that could run them at 1 ohm?... or would it be okay to get a dual channel amp, and still run them on different channels at 2 ohms each?

UPDATE:

I was checking out ebay and found the "Kenwood KAC-9152D" Runs 900watts RMS@1 ohm stable...any suggestions, anyone use this amp? Its mono block so if this is a decent amp it would solve my problem...

well i think i pretty much screwed up that idea. Read that a pair DVC 4 ohms runs at 1 or 4..... and a pair at 2 ohms runs at .5 or 2.....is that correct? if so, does anyone have a suggestion on an alpine or kicker amp that could run them at 1 ohm?...
this is true.

I don't think Alpine makes anything designed for 1 ohm.

According to the specs on kicker's site the sx1250.1 runs at 1 ohm, but it's a lot more power than you need. Nothing an adjustment of the gain won't fix if it's in your price range.

yeah. i have the money...i just dont want to spend so much if there is any way around it. every review i read on that kenwood amp was good. Just one problem...i dont know if the info is wrong where i got it from, but some places say

4 ohm - 500 rms

2 ohm - n/a

1 ohm - 900 rms

and others say

4 ohm - 500 rms

2 ohm - 900 rms

1 ohm - 900 rms....

and yet still others say it can run 1750 rms @ 1 ohm..... very confusing on that. however i could spend 175 bucks on it and have all the power i would need, as everyone said it sounds awesome.. thoughts?

I have 2 10" 06 kicker solobaric S10L5's. They run at 450 watts rms a peice, totaling 900. They are 4 ohm dual voice coil. And I plan to run them at 2 ohms each in a seperate truck box. I see that the kicker 750.1 runs over the 750, as my friends runs at 926@2ohms... this is plenty of power, but can I run 2 subs in seperate enclosures on a monoblock amp? Would I just have them in series or parallel?
Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ,

Robert
With those subs the only total impedances (with each getting equal power) you could come up with would be 16, 8, 4 (two ways of getting to this impedance), or 1 ohm. Obviously 16 and 8 are not desireable impedances to wire them to, so that leaves you with 4 or 1 ohm. For the most power (and the most power for the money from most amps) you're likely going to want to run them at 1-ohm (wire each in parallel and then parallel the two together on the amp as well).

I noticed a lot of people are saying the current Kicker mono amps are fine for 1-ohm operation, however Kicker doesn't rate them for 1-ohm operation and does not recommend running them below 2-ohms either. So take that however you want to but realise it's "at your own risk" driving one into 1-ohm.

I posted not too long ago (either here or another forum) that I would have bought a Kicker amp had they been 1-ohm stable. And then a bunch of people started telling me they run fine at 1-ohm, lol. I bought an amp that was rated for 1-ohm operation already though.

So, you can either use a 750.1 and run it into 1-ohm at your own risk or you can just buy an amp that is rated for 1-ohm operation--up to you really.

yeah, im definitely going at 1 ohm. If only i had read these forums yesterday i would have bought 2 ohm DVC kickers...but no harm done as long as i can find a decent 1 ohm stable amp.. that kenwood is still looking mighty right at this moment lol.

One more question....is there any sound difference if you wire them up with different impedances?

All the sellers of the kicker 750.1 amp said if i just run two wires from the amp then it will still see a 2 ohm load and run the solobarics just fine. So i guess that is wiring them in series. Is this true? would it work?

All the sellers of the kicker 750.1 amp said if i just run two wires from the amp then it will still see a 2 ohm load and run the solobarics just fine. So i guess that is wiring them in series. Is this true? would it work?
If you have a pair of dvc 4's you simply can't wire a 2 ohm nom. load.

Either the "sellers" just want you to buy their amp, they misunderstand your application, or they're stupid. (you can't get 8 either, but that's beside the point)

There have been many reports of the Kenwood mono's struggling at 1 ohm.

If you have a pair of dvc 4's you simply can't wire a 2 ohm nom. load. (you can't get 8 either, but that's beside the point)
Oops yeah my mistake, you can't get 8 don't know why I wrote that... Not of any consequence I guess as no one is going to use an 8-ohm load for two subs in the car audio world, lol.

One more question....is there any sound difference if you wire them up with different impedances?
Not certain what you mean by this. You don't mean wiring one sub for one impedance and the other for a different one, do you? (E.g. #1 wired for 2-ohms and #2 wired for 4-ohms?)

If you wired them like that you'd get a strange impedance for the amp--either 6-ohms or 1.33-ohms. But more importantly each sub would get completely different power (uneven power split) that way. Not a good idea.

If you just meant what the consequence is of wiring them differently, for different total impedances (16, 4, or 1 ohm total) then it's just the load the amp "sees" and usually therefore the power you get from the amp. 1-ohm will allow for the most power but as mentioned the amp has to be 1-ohm stable. 4-ohm will work on pretty much any amp but in many cases it's a "waste" as (in the case of most mono amps) you'd be buying an amp that puts out more power at 2-ohms but never using it.

In order to not leave any of an amps power unused you should get a 1-ohm stable mono amp; or get a stereo amp and run it into 4-ohms bridged (or 2-ohm stereo, pretty much the same thing); or get an amp that is highly regulated like JLs Slash amps (probably more than you want to spend though, lol).

If you're still thinking about a Kenwood, I'd say at least get a KAC-X811D, KAC-X812D or XXV-03A--they're built a little better being in the eXcelon line. HiFonics is a good idea. From what I know these newer HiFonics amps are slightly overrated but that's okay since you're only looking for 900W RMS anyway. As for the current draw, I'd run it first and see how it goes. If you're going to be using it at high power levels all the time you'll probably want to upgrade the electrical system; however if you're going to be using moderate power most of the time, it might be fine on your stock electrical system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.