Molding a body kit?

Participant count
  • Participant list

05honda
10+ year member

Well if you followed my "crash and burn" thread you know that I slid into a hill and cracked my front bumper. I decided not to buy another stock bumper and to buy a full body kit instead. I like the look of molded side skirts so i figured I would attempt to mold them.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif. Is there any information that I should have before I start this project. Any info would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

take your time sanding it and do it over and over. a buddy of mine molded a body kit to a cavalier and did a quick half ass job and the one skirt ended up comin off of the mody and cracked to ****. do it right the first time no matter how long it takes

Molding something made from fiberglass or urethane will be difficult if not impossible to steel. Bumper covers can be done, but generally with side skirts you have to recreate them out of steel.

Molding something made from fiberglass or urethane will be difficult if not impossible to steel. Bumper covers can be done, but generally with side skirts you have to recreate them out of steel.
Steel sideskirts? WTF?

You can fiberglass them in, with a few well-placed holes. Instead of just glassing it "onto" the car, glass it "into" the car.

Sorry It took me awhile to get back to this thread.

would this be your first glass project?
No I have done a couple sub boxes, a dash, and some other little projects here and there.

I dont know about having steal side skirts? Sounds alittle off the wall.....

I was only planning on molding the skirts. I was actually going to drill holes into the car itself that way the resin can penetrate and create a better seal...I dont know of any other way to go about this....any other input....

Taking to to someone else isnt really high on my list of things to do. (Actually its not on my list at all)

I just this morning purchased;

* VIS urethane front

* vFiber skirts

* Extreme Dimensions duraflex bumper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8041701282&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSAA%3AUS%3A11

As stated above, I have no intention of taking it anywhere until it's ready for paint //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think the holes method is probably the way to go. Hopefully the 'glass will stick to urethane, and the funky milkshake-type composite of the duraflex valence. Guess it's time to do some searching.

Doesnt anyone else have any input.....Im only really worrying about the side skirts....Im not going to mold the front and rear bumpers incase i ever need to remove them for engine work. But the sideskirts i want molded for a cleaner look. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif come on guys....help a noob out...

Mine are in the mail, I'll keep you posted as to how they turn out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I picked up a set of fenders, too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.