Molded (as is formed) Carpet

WhoSayWho?
5,000+ posts

Preston Caught a Predator
For any of you guys who have some experience replacing auto carpet, is molded carpet (cut and formed for your vehicle) that much better to work with than unmolded? Also, have you ever ran into a problem with the sound deadening material effecting the carpet size needed?

First time I have taken on this project so I don't really know WTF I am doing.

I've done carpet both ways and molded is the best. Non-molded carpet bunches in the corner and lifts. I've seen installers use a carpet adhesive and make cuts to fit into dips and corners. You'll be pissed off with the results and wished you used molded.

most molded carpet isn't perfectly fit on there. i had sound deadening under all my carpet in the trunk, and i don't have any fitment problems. just remember to cut the deadener where the carpet clips to the car.

here's a good install tip for molded carpet:

pick a nice sunny day, and lay the carpet out on the roof of the car for a few hours before you install it. It'll make it a lot easier to work with, and get the fold lines out from where it was shipped.

Thanks guys. Molded carpet it is. After doing some research for places to buy online, it looks like it is not going to nearly as expensive as I thought. Somewhere between $100 - 150 shipped. the tips will come in handy.

Also, something I did not think about but read during my research --- one site said to be sure to disconnect the battery or else you might cause the aribags to engage when you disconnect the wires. I don't know if that is accurate but I am ceratinly going to do it. I thought I would mention it in case someone else who is removing the seats reads the threads. Someone with more experience might be able to confirm this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

WhoSayWho?

5,000+ posts
Preston Caught a Predator
WhoSayWho?
Hempstead State Park
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date