Missing bass. Last heard in stock Honda speakers.

an extreme example - these speakers have TONS of midbass. subs almost not required.

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

I'd just head back into the shop and say hey guys... these sound awful. Can we either work on swapping them out for some new speaker, or can you do a better install on them? You paid too much for the speakers... then you paid another $160 for the "install" which probably took a few minutes... I would have gladly done that for a tank of gas and done a much better job. Just be honest, let them know you paid a premium for something that should be top-notch, and you're getting exceptionally mediocre sound out of it.

In the long run, you got screwed. You over-paid for mediocre speakers. Then over-paid for a mediocre install. I think that would have been a reasonable installation price if they did actually do a good job, and sealed up the speaker surrounds and added a couple well placed pieces of deadener. But now all you can do is try to make it right. Regardless of where I've worked, if I've ever had a customer dissatisfied, I'm not happy, and I do what I can to make it right. I would hope any respectable business would have that same attitude.

If they had to destroy your old speakers to mount new ones?? Already something sounds wrong. Maybe they were mounted with rivets, if so I can understand they wanted to do it quick.
And to that... I had to destroy my old speakers to get new ones in. They were made as a one piece speaker/baffle combo, and the baffle was riveted into the door. I didn't have the time or skills at the time to create new speaker baffles, so I just had to sawzall out around the OEM speakers.

yea, using the stock mounts is sometimes reasonable. especially if the stock mount is angled. and to use it, they do have to destroy the factory speaker. it should let you get a good seal, if properly implemented. if not well implemented, it will be awful.

you can easily drill out the rivets, then use bolts to hold them back in place.

yea, using the stock mounts is sometimes reasonable. especially if the stock mount is angled. and to use it, they do have to destroy the factory speaker. it should let you get a good seal, if properly implemented. if not well implemented, it will be awful.
you can easily drill out the rivets, then use bolts to hold them back in place.
Yea they were good OEM mounts, my new speakers baskets couldn't clear them any more though. So as you said, I drilled out the rivets and have bolted in new baffles.

Any decent shop should fabricate mdf rings for the speakers and include them for the install price.

If the surface is an issue with the rings, SD or a caulk rope can seal it and do the trick.

Those alpines have 88 db spl and the Honda speakers are like 90-91 db spl, that means the volume has to be turned up a lot more to sound loud or need an amp to make them sound loud.

Kenwood sell some cheap good speakers with 92 db spl, maybe if they carry those they can swap them. Always shop for speakers with over 91 db spl when driven by the HU only and not a separate amplifier.

I agree with what was mentioned, low spl, and polarity screw up may have affected the outcome, sad they destroyed the old speakers to fit the new ones. Good luck and keep us posted of how they solve your issue.

SD is worth it but takes time and costs extra $$ to apply on the doors

Had to install a sub. I spent way more than I wanted total, but I now have an extreme abundance of low end if desired. I just use it to balance my sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.