Missing bass. Last heard in stock Honda speakers.

Needforsound

FL
Greetings all!

My stock Honda door speakers were replaced with four Alpine SPS-610's. I used to keep the bass at +3 (out of 6) and got plenty of low-end from the stock speakers (same size). Now, even with the bass cranked to the max (+6) I get almost no bass response, and the sound is very harsh to the ear!

I'm not using an amp or sub; just simply upgraded the speakers. Unfortunately, this has been a major downgrade in audio fidelity. I've read great reviews on these speakers, so I feel I'm missing something.

Do the SPS-601's have bass blockers built in? I cannot find anything to confirm this, but it definitely sounds like a high-pass filter is applied. What is the "Bennic" capacitor in the attached image? Is it a bass blocker?

I appreciate any insight.

those blockers are just for the tweeter,and the response of the driver is @70 hz..you are not going to get much bass response out of a pair of coaxials..you are better off getting a component set up front,and getting an amp to put on them to give them some power,rather than very little that the hu provides.they may still sound just fine for you being amplified,rather than replacing..Not going all out crazy, you can get a decent 4 ch amplifier,and run ch 1,and 2 on the front left, and right, and bridge the 3,and 4 ch,to run a single 10 in sub,and keep the rear speakers ran off the hu,and just add bass blockers to keep from blowing them

Thanks for the reply audiobaun!

I had no intention of adding an amp or sub. I just wanted to straight-up replace the four stock speakers, and was told the Alpines would be a vast audible improvement. But now my bass is cut off, and the sound is much worse than the old stock Honda speakers. What is wrong here? Is it a possible installation issue? They sound like 3 inch speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to find out why a new set of Alpine SPS-610's sound a lot worse than the stock Honda speakers they replaced. Please, no more product links.

Thanks for the reply audiobaun!
I had no intention of adding an amp or sub. I just wanted to straight-up replace the four stock speakers, and was told the Alpines would be a vast audible improvement. But now my bass is cut off, and the sound is much worse than the old stock Honda speakers. What is wrong here? Is it a possible installation issue? They sound like 3 inch speakers.
You may have had some 2ohm speakers that were stock,as most stock Head units are at,2ohms, and you have bought 4ohm after market speakers,wich are at a higher impedience..easiest way to tell is to take a look at the stock speaker,and see if it states 2ohm, or 4 ohm>You may also try to use some kind of deadner to help enhance the sound a bit more as well,such as FaTMat, is what I used,and is reasonably priced compared to Dynamat,and seems to work just as well,as Ive experienced both.25 Sq Ft Sound deadener Fatmat + Roller | eBay

Should be plenty to do both doors

You can also get the model number off the back of the Head unit, and google it,check to see if it is a 2ohm hu, or 4ohm ,and you know that you have 4ohm speakers that were replaced.It is best to use the same ohm rated speaker if directly off the hu,or use an external amplifier,and bypass the existing if in place to add

I'm trying to find out why a new set of Alpine SPS-610's sound a lot worse than the stock Honda speakers they replaced. Please, no more product links.
They are not receiving enough power, the place that installed them should have mentioned that.

Well... they are mediocre speakers. And they are only seeing a few watts of power. And you have them running off the stock HU.

There's just nothing right in your car right now to make them sound good. You might benefit from some deadener. But I'd be more concerned finding some speakers that are maybe 2 ohm, and definitely have a higher sensitivity. And ideally, component speakers.

Uh oh. These speakers were sold to me specifically for the fact that I'd be running off the stock head unit. I was told they would sound much better than the stock speakers. $320 later and the result is quite the opposite! Any recommendation on how to handle this fairly? I feel kinda screwed right now.

It was $160 for the 4 speakers; the rest was installation + tax. I didn't mind paying a premium to support my local business. And the reviews on these speakers looked great.

The price is not why I feel screwed, it's that the result is worse than before.

I dunno Hondas, but what is the stock mounting like? Aftermarket speakers sounded like azz in my Buick because of the factory mounting being "tuned" to the OEM speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.