Missing bass. Last heard in stock Honda speakers.

Thanks for the reply audiobaun!
I had no intention of adding an amp or sub. I just wanted to straight-up replace the four stock speakers, and was told the Alpines would be a vast audible improvement. But now my bass is cut off, and the sound is much worse than the old stock Honda speakers. What is wrong here? Is it a possible installation issue? They sound like 3 inch speakers.
You took out speakers that were specifically designed to operate in your car and to sound their best with the factory power applied. You replaced them with speakers designed to fit a particular hole in the door. This happens every day. You will probably need a subwoofer to replenish the extended lower frequency response you lost by removing the factory speakers. The speakers you bought are obviously not capable of reproducing the sound you are missing. The trade off is that the Alpines will handle more power at the frequency range they are designed to play in.

And yes, there is still a possible installation issue. It is possible you have a speaker out of phase, which will cause loss of output and frequency response.

The stock speakers were destroyed to make mounts for the new.

Let me be clear: I am NOT expecting gut-rumbling low end. But right now, the bass is cranked to the max (even turned the treble down), and I cannot get anything out of these things bass-wise. Kick drums sound like slapping meat. I'm an audio engineer and I know what can be done with 70hz, so something is definitely not right here.

I will talk to the shop that sold and installed these. $320 (installed) was supposed to vastly improve my sound, running off the stock head unit. I am looking to this community for advice on how to best handle this fairly with the shop, and how to approach them.

The stock speakers were destroyed to make mounts for the new.
Let me be clear: I am NOT expecting gut-rumbling low end. But right now, the bass is cranked to the max (even turned the treble down), and I cannot get anything out of these things bass-wise. Kick drums sound like slapping meat. I'm an audio engineer and I know what can be done with 70hz, so something is definitely not right here.

I will talk to the shop that sold and installed these. $320 (installed) was supposed to vastly improve my sound, running off the stock head unit. I am looking to this community for advice on how to best handle this fairly with the shop, and how to approach them.
Go to them and tell them you suspect you have a wiring issue because it sounds like you have a speaker or two out of phase.

Sadly most shops will tell you anyhing to sell their products. If they had to destroy your old speakers to mount new ones?? Already something sounds wrong. Maybe they were mounted with rivets, if so I can understand they wanted to do it quick. Maybe it is an installation issue. I'm also guessing the new alpines need more power than your old speakers did, still even then I don't see why there would be no bass at all. Could be a phase issue but we could not tell you exactly with the info provided.

I'm surprised they didn't test it right there in front of you soon as they installed them. Not sure how your shop handles their installs and expectations so it'd he hard to recommend what to tell them other than there is no bass.

Thanks everybody!

I was the last pickup of the day; everybody was gone while I was listening in the parking lot. Since the whole shop was eager to bolt for the evening, perhaps it was a hasty wiring job after all. Either way, if they make it right I have no problem.

If you want to get decent midbass out of aftermarket speakers you have to take the time to do a proper install. I bet the shop just screwed them into where the stocks were mounted & they aren't sealed off properly, etc.

You got screwed. You cant just replace stock speakers with better ones, it dont work like that on head unit power. Of course they are going to tell you what you want to hear. You can support your local shops all you want but dont go in there stupid or they will shaft you.

the issue here is not the speakers. it's extremely common.

the reason? seals.

no, not the kind that get eaten by sharks as narrated by Sigourney Weaver.

the kind of seals created with perfectly crafted mounts and foam weatherstripping.

what you need to do is recreate the factory seals. these exist in two main locations.

1. between the woofer and the metal.

2. between the woofer and teh plastic door panel grill opening.

#2 is usually missed.

the door panel acts as the front baffle of the enclosure since the door metal has huge holes in it. the rear wave from the speaker combines with the front - cancelling it out.

midbass/bass is all about seals and isolating front from rear.

the issue here is not the speakers. it's extremely common.
the reason? seals.

no, not the kind that get eaten by sharks as narrated by Sigourney Weaver.

the kind of seals created with perfectly crafted mounts and foam weatherstripping.

what you need to do is recreate the factory seals. these exist in two main locations.

1. between the woofer and the metal.

2. between the woofer and teh plastic door panel grill opening.

#2 is usually missed.

the door panel acts as the front baffle of the enclosure since the door metal has huge holes in it. the rear wave from the speaker combines with the front - cancelling it out.

midbass/bass is all about seals and isolating front from rear.
Thank you for taking this to the next level of understanding....and this too falls on the installers for an improper install, if they did not replicate the OEM install using the aftermarket speakers.

OP, goto lowes/HD and pick up 10' of some nice 3/4" weatherstripping for like 4 bucks. Then head on over to audiotechnix.com and grab some 60 mil b-stock for like $58 shipped.

most installers won't go through the extra effort. it's $60/hr for custom work like sealing doors. if you go back and want additional seals, expect to pay for it.

your best bet is to DIY. this stuff is easy.

here is a thread i've added a lot of door speaker installation pics to

Installing door speakers and sound deadening and more - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

this is what i mean about seals and foam:

passdoordeadening052.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.