minimum amount of sound deadener for front doors

Moofs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I did a bunch of searching about how much deadner is needed to make a difference with your doors. A lot of people said 15-20 sq ft can be enough for all 4. One of the audiotechnix guys said he did all 4 doors with only 17 sq ft.

I plan to only do my front doors, do you guys thing 8 square feet should be enough?

(I wasnt gonna buy any in the first place b/c my budget is so tight)

Unless you're playing lows at high volumes deadener isn't really that necessary. You might want to put some on your trunk lid if it's prone to rattle/buzzing but I think you will be fine besides that.

you don't have to deaden doors, lots of people don't. With the system you have planned you could get by without it...
Thanks, I'm gonna skip it for now.

I just need to save a little more for the install and get a headunit wiring harness/ipod adaptor and and I'll message you.

deadening is always beneficial. the car door will resonate above 100Hz, which is in the range of the speaker. more important than deadener is seals. an airtight seal between the speaker and the door panel is #1. a few bucks worth of weatherstripping foam is all you need. sealing up the entire door is #2. this is more effort and should be done after deadening.

how much depends on your goals. i say vote less than 10SF per door. seals are still key.

deadening is always beneficial. the car door will resonate above 100Hz, which is in the range of the speaker. more important than deadener is seals. an airtight seal between the speaker and the door panel is #1. a few bucks worth of weatherstripping foam is all you need. sealing up the entire door is #2. this is more effort and should be done after deadening.
how much depends on your goals. i say vote less than 10SF per door. seals are still key.
can i see pics of how ur doors sealed up?

until you add so much deadener that the Fo falls right in to the bandpass of the speaker still... so, what's adding deadener really do? I'm not saying it shouldn't be used... I'm saying one should think about what they're doing with it. Really, bracing is better in some regards than deadening. Just depends on what you're trying to do.

Agreed about sealing up the holes.

Don't do anything, get it up and playing and then see if you have issues that need to be addressed. This is a super budget build, deadener should be last on that list.

Did you mean to say "decreases" or are you talking about raising the resonant frequency?
Yes, increases resonant frequency. Thanks for the clarification. Good looking' out.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

So you suggest getting some foam weather stripping and just putting it around the mid speakers in the doors?
Bare minimum, yes. Uses the door panel as the front baffle, same as stock.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.