Mid/high amp cuts out at LOW volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
Friend has a JBL Club 704. It's wired to 4 ohms and set to proper voltages. At low to moderate listening levels, it cuts out for a couple seconds, comes on for a few, and keeps repeating. When you crank it up loud, it works just fine.

It's a brand new HU, but it did the same thing with the old one. All 4 channels cut out at exactly the same time and come back on at the same time.

I'm going to try sending signal from another source, with different cables, to eliminate that. I'll also try using his cables to provide signal to my amp, just to be sure. Also plan on having his amp power different speakers, and have mine power his speakers, to see if any of it is repeatable.

Protect light doesn't come on, amp never actually turns off either, just the output dies. Very good ground, good remote turn on voltage, good power connection. I'm kind of at a loss as to why it would do that.

Check for pinched wires even rcas, clean amp terminals, check crossovers for damage, check to see if power wire is good, check remote wire, fuses could be partially blown

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Talk about confusing. I thought I had it all figured out. It didn't do a **** thing for an hour and a half after I played around with a few things....and then it came back. Gotta be the amp I think, because it just makes sense, but he had the exact same issue with his last amp with the same speakers...but the speakers work flawlessly on my amp. The only thing that is consistent between the two setups is he mounted both to his original subwoofer box, even though I told him not to. I built his new box, so his amps are NOT mounted to that, but I suppose it's possible for vibration damage to have affected both amps in the same fashion. I literally checked everything else I could possibly find and think of.

Talk about confusing. I thought I had it all figured out. It didn't do a **** thing for an hour and a half after I played around with a few things....and then it came back. Gotta be the amp I think, because it just makes sense, but he had the exact same issue with his last amp with the same speakers...but the speakers work flawlessly on my amp. The only thing that is consistent between the two setups is he mounted both to his original subwoofer box, even though I told him not to. I built his new box, so his amps are NOT mounted to that, but I suppose it's possible for vibration damage to have affected both amps in the same fashion. I literally checked everything else I could possibly find and think of.
This is def the issue. What subs is he running? Ported box?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.