MECP Certification

Its bogus. Don't waste your money. There's answer sheets floating around somewhere too. Nobody really even highers anymore based on MECP. I know people who have went there and didn't learn squat.
I wouldn't waste the time or the momey if I were you. If your looking to get it just to be an instaler based on what a shop requires, I wouldn't work there.
i agree. i took it (after i bought and read the study guide) and still failed with a 69 :x but its dumb questions about electrical and diodes and stuff like that. way tooo technical. i promise i have learned more about caraudio through friends than that study guide taught me. just build something awesome and show some shops and see if they wont hire you for your work

i agree. i took it (after i bought and read the study guide) and still failed with a 69 :x but its dumb questions about electrical and diodes and stuff like that. way tooo technical. i promise i have learned more about caraudio through friends than that study guide taught me. just build something awesome and show some shops and see if they wont hire you for your work
yes show them your work and explain to them that you have no grasp of how to use basic electrical components such as a diode in a car audio application because you didnt have the ability to grasp any of the very technical information in a basic study guide. What good is knowing how to build something awesome if you dont understand how to make it work? If you think the stuff in the basic guide is too technical then you do not need to be getting paid to install for anyone else.

yes show them your work and explain to them that you have no grasp of how to use basic electrical components such as a diode in a car audio application because you didnt have the ability to grasp any of the very technical information in a basic study guide. What good is knowing how to build something awesome if you dont understand how to make it work? If you think the stuff in the basic guide is too technical then you do not need to be getting paid to install for anyone else.
all im saying is im the kinda person whos not so book smart, if you asked me to wire up an alarm i could do it but if i had to draw a diagram and explain it i would fail becuz i know how but i dont know how to on paper if that makes sense. just giving my .02 doosh

your original statement said nothing of the sort....it gave the impression that if asked what was required to wire up an alarm on a vehicle with 4 independent door triggers that needed to be isolated you would be able to because it was too technical

I really wish Installers would look for apprenticeships at quality shops instead of just going for the mecp.

The mecp certification is good to have but I honestly don’t believe going to the school makes you a good installer.

Back in the days when I had a shop in Chicago I hired a kid straight out of installer school. He had a binder with all these pictures and qualifications and he messed up three vehicles within a week. One was very costly to repair.

I think you can benefit from these schools but the real way to learn is work at a shop and be an apprentice behind a great installer and learn hands on from the best.

I know that Select products offers some very good training videos from basic stuff to fabrication at a ok cost.

I went around to EVERY shop in reasonable driving distance and asked them..

What would it take to get hired here?

They all said..

"Hah.. We are not hiring now and won't be for a very long time.. You would be better off becoming a plumber"

That made me sad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I went around to EVERY shop in reasonable driving distance and asked them..
What would it take to get hired here?

They all said..

"Hah.. We are not hiring now and won't be for a very long time.. You would be better off becoming a plumber"

That made me sad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Have you asked to work for free? Most shops will take you on and if they have a good installer that will teach you it could be worth it in the long run.

Have you asked to work for free? Most shops will take you on and if they have a good installer that will teach you it could be worth it in the long run.
Well one problem is a lack of business..

and I got the impression that people that work in audio installing don't like having someone around that can't stand on their own..

What most people don't understand is that MECP certification is one of the only ways for a shop to determine if a potential installer is worth a crap. I bet 99% of people who want to apply for a install job are unqualified. Yes the basic exam is very out-dated, but what else is a shop owner to go buy? You can't show your car and expect that to mean anything, the way you work on your car and a customers is very different.

KC

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MTXman

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
MTXman
Orlando, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date