MECP Certification

MTXman
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Orlando, FL
I am contemplating going to one of those 6-Week Car Audio schools to get MECP Certified like I've always wanted to do.

I'd like to be an installer for a couple years and it seems like MECP certification is the quickest route to get there. I know you can be an installer without one.. it just seems like it would be beneficial in many ways to just go ahead and take one of those classes for a couple months to get certified.

What are your thoughts? I know some of you are MECP certified.. was it worth it?

You don't need to go to school to get certified. Just order the study book and give a good couple of reads. I plan on taking the test in 2 weeks in order for a little pay raise at work. My supervisor has a copy of the test and he said it's basically a lot on Ohms law, etc.

KC

Yeah I heard its alot of questions on electrical..

I knew that you didnt have to take the class to get certified but it would give me some practice.. brush up on some of my skills..

Its bogus. Don't waste your money. There's answer sheets floating around somewhere too. Nobody really even highers anymore based on MECP. I know people who have went there and didn't learn squat.

I wouldn't waste the time or the momey if I were you. If your looking to get it just to be an instaler based on what a shop requires, I wouldn't work there.

If you do a search, I posted the exact same question about a year ago. I planned on attending Installer Institute in Florida. After adding up all the costs, I said **** that. I would rather spend the $5k+ on tools.

Instead, I got a job at best buy. If you can get into a good install bay, it is an awesome experience - as much as this forum will talk **** about them. Any install bay, whether it be a retail chain or custom shop, is only as good as their installers.

Anyways, 6 months after becoming an autotech I got MECP certified. The company covered the cost of the exam.

But in my opinion, is it worth it? No. Installing is significantly more hands on and know how than it is theory work. However, it obviously helps. I would say taking the test and passing it on your own would be a greater accomplishment than going to a school, tho. It shows you are serious about this as a career choice and take an initiative.

But if you expect to go get certified and instantly get hired, that sure won't be the case.

being an installer and MECP is worthless makes absolutely no sense to me. Pay wise it is always worthwhile? No. However it is an amazing tool to drive the business of whatever shop you are working in and if it is a commision based job that is exactly what you want to do. The schools however if you have a basic knoweldge of Electricity Car Audio, Video, Securtiy and fabrication you already know what you are going to learn there so save yourself the $6k. MECP certification however is a very good way to keep customers in the building no matter the price. It shows them a dedication to the industry and helps them develop some comfort with leaving their vehicle in your possesion and those customers tend to have friends which will almost always lead to word of mouth business. It is also a great way to pick up business from local car dealers. I personally have picked up a few dealer accounts using my certification. Dealership work is an awesome to drive business as they can do almost nothing when it comes to the aftermarket especially when dealing with security and rear seat entertainment. So saying MECP is worthless is very untrue unless those who think so simply do not know how to use it to their advantage.

I thought of the same thing. I just put that money towards equipment and reasearched and taught myself.

You could spend 80 bucks read test and say you got it though.

If you do a search, I posted the exact same question about a year ago. I planned on attending Installer Institute in Florida. After adding up all the costs, I said **** that. I would rather spend the $5k+ on tools.
Instead, I got a job at best buy. If you can get into a good install bay, it is an awesome experience - as much as this forum will talk **** about them. Any install bay, whether it be a retail chain or custom shop, is only as good as their installers.

Anyways, 6 months after becoming an autotech I got MECP certified. The company covered the cost of the exam.

But in my opinion, is it worth it? No. Installing is significantly more hands on and know how than it is theory work. However, it obviously helps. I would say taking the test and passing it on your own would be a greater accomplishment than going to a school, tho. It shows you are serious about this as a career choice and take an initiative.

But if you expect to go get certified and instantly get hired, that sure won't be the case.
Did you get a raise for passing level 1? I just started as a trainee, getting the "required" tools right now. ***** because 1/2 of them i dont think i would ever use.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

KC

I'm an MESA certified installer. The great thing about MESA is that it's also based on hands on work, whereas, MECP is only "by the book." I was graded by three MECP master level installers at the Installer Institute who have been in the industry for almsot as long as I've been alive. Yeah, it was a HUGE chunk of cash and it ****** paying for it but for the people that have a genuine passion for installing/fabricating, it's worth getting that certification and not like the majority of the people on here and say, "whoopdeedoo, I'll just read the MECP book and take a test." MECP might be a little bit outdated but I would love to be a Master level certified.....some day //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

the only MECP cert level that can be considered outdated is the Basic level...Both advanced and master have undergone revisions in the past few years. As to it being by the book the basic level is by the book as it is design to signify that you are ready to begin learning to be an installer or at least that is how i look at it. The advanced and master tests both have questions that are not covered in either book or any book for that matter...there is nothing that really covers real world troubleshooting in either the master or advanced books however there is an entire 40 question section regarding real world troubleshooting on the master test. Things that you will mostly only learn from experience. Seriously speaking though attaining master level certification with some dedication is easier then it may seem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MTXman

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
MTXman
Orlando, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date