MB Quart DSC-4125 sq? vs jl vs rockford

mwe-maxxowner
10+ year member

I want some opinions on a MB Quart DSC-4125 amp. Specifically, how it would compare to a jl audio slash 300/4.

Out of the used amps I've been looking at lately, the few most likely candidates I've found are mb quart amps, or rockford/punch amps. I'd also like opinions on which would be better between mb quart amps, and punch amps. I'm looking for a 4 channel to run my focal access 130 a1 front components, as well as the infinity kappa rear coax's. I want nice, clean, natural sounding music. Which brand would be the best at helping me reach that goal?

if u have the money, I think the JL will give a cleaner sound but the MB Quart may give a little more power.

boston acoustics makes amazing amps IMO and dont cost too much either and have built in fans.

I am running that MB Quart Amp, sounds good.

I also have a JL 450/4 and the MB Quart seems the same in sound quality but a it lower in prce.

There is a big difference in money between the 2

For a busget amp I am more than happy with the MB Quart

I have a jl slash 300/4. Plenty of power for me. But one of the rear channels has gone bad. I want something at least as clean as it

All the punch, and mb quart amps I'm looking at are used and not too expensive. Or like ebay refurbished. What about memphis?

This boston accoustics is on ebay for a good price, how would it compare? Boston accoustics GTA704 500W 4-CH

Please forgive my ignorance, until I bought my slash I knew nothing about amps other than sony from walmart, and when I bought my truck I wanted something better than that highschool crap I used to run. So I know very little about quality amps/brands.

I worked a lot of overtime this pay period to get me caught back up, and to fund upgrading my sound system since my amp took a poop on me (and took my sub with it) but my budget is still gonna be 200 dollars or less. And I'm not afraid to buy used.

I have a jl slash 300/4. Plenty of power for me. But one of the rear channels has gone bad. I want something at least as clean as it
All the punch, and mb quart amps I'm looking at are used and not too expensive. Or like ebay refurbished. What about memphis?

This boston accoustics is on ebay for a good price, how would it compare? Boston accoustics GTA704 500W 4-CH

Please forgive my ignorance, until I bought my slash I knew nothing about amps other than sony from walmart, and when I bought my truck I wanted something better than that highschool crap I used to run. So I know very little about quality amps/brands.
i had a JL 300/4 as well as and it was very clean! changed to boston due to more power and its just as clean.

the one u mentioned should be pretty good. (no built in fan tho)

look into the GT 475.

Thanks for your patience! What about the ROCKFORD FOSGATE PUNCH P400-4, or the rockford fosgate prime r300-4. All of which I can find in my price range. Just wanna make the best decision out of my choices.

Thanks for your patience! What about the ROCKFORD FOSGATE PUNCH P400-4, or the rockford fosgate prime r300-4. All of which I can find in my price range. Just wanna make the best decision out of my choices.
those primes get very hot! so i wouldnt run one. the punch 400-4 is a good amp as well. friend of mine had one.

still think boston has slightly better SQ but not too noticeable. also could be that my speakers are better than his....either way, both are solid choices

If the jl really is that good, I'm wondering if maybe I need to look into different front speakers. Maybe somethings up with the front channels too. They sound good, don't get me wrong, just not amazing like I'd hoped. If B/A has the better sound quality, maybe I should def just go that route. All of what I'm seeing on ebay is cheaper than anything else I've mentioned

if the fronts dont sound horribly distorted, chances are the front channels on the amp are fine.

EQ settings, crossovers, speakers, headunit....all will affect how it sounds. if one of your channels is bad on your amp, I say go ahead and either try to find a used 300/4 or 450/4 or look at the Boston GT475 or the Rockford P 400-4. MB Quart is pretty good for budget equipment but maxxsonics just hasnt impressed me with their amps.

Of those amps, i personally would get the boston amp.

also if youre looking to change speakers, Boston also makes great speakers.

Pioneer ts d1720c also great....there are tons of options. I say you play around with what you have to see if you really need to change speakers tho.

the Focals u have are decent.

Of the amps u mentioned, you cant go wrong with either, the SQ wont be too noticeably different

Okay, thanks, I've messed with the settings on the head unit. It's not too fancy, just has the typica bass, treble, mid, and bass boost. And I've played with the settings on the amp too. It's like, when I turn it up, it sounds a little unnatural, the voices don't sound right. Not to the point it starts distorting. I have everything tuned so I can't turn it up enough to start distorting the speakers. I can change the crossover point on the head unit, but I have that set on the amp, so I just left it set to through. I'd like to know enough to fool with an external equalizer.

I discovered I had a bad channel because the two rears, bridged, burnt up my sub. And it smelled horrible afterward. So, as to not waste the two channels whilst I searched for a sub, I wired the two rear door speakers to the rear channels. Turned on the music to test it out, and immediately started smelling the same smell again. The rear driver's speaker was smelling bad. Sounded fine tho. I was told this is a sign that channel is sending dc voltage to the speakers.

All else on the amp still seems same as ever.

Maybe I'm just so used to the way everything sounded with the sub, it just sounds weird to me now that it's gone

How about a Memphis Audio 16-MCH600. This is a 5 channel amp, in my price range. That way I have all four door speakers covered, and the sub, all on one amp. That amp should be very good in the musical clarity department, right?

Also found a Memphis Power Reference PR100.4 5-channel would be nice, but if the power reference is a better amp, I can just use my old sony amp for the sub or bridge the front jl channels for the sub

not having a sub after being used to one can make a pretty big difference in the sound.

Both amps should be good in the SQ part. The memphis 5 channel will be great if you want a lower power setup (also depends on what ohm your sub(s) are/is)

if your sub is single 4 ohm i doubt that amp will do thing good for it. At any rate, I would run a 4 channel amp and then get another amp for your sub. That sub doesnt have too high on an rms rating but i still dont think the 100w the memphis will do will be enough

This is the sub I'll be using

Sundown Audio e8v1 Prototype

Yes, single 4 ohm. I was happy with the 8w1v2 off the bridged jl 300/4 rear channels, which I think are 150 watts, but I defnitely don't want any less. So yes, I don't think I'd be happy with the 100 watts to the new sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.