Massive Audio D8000 Noise Issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

reible82nd
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hello all,

I just bought a Massive D8000 as is from a local shop. They said it had a noise issue and priced it well considering so I had to snag it. After hooking it up I noticed a few things:

1. The amp pops through the sub a bit when powering up but does not when powering down. It usually pops twice about a half-second apart. It isn't loud enough for me to be concerned about my sub but it's certainly noticeable.

2. During operation, if I pause a track or turn the volume down I can hear a low rumbling coming through the sub accompanied by some static. Again, not noticeable when I'm playing music so it doesn't bother me all that much. It doesn't do it all the time either...after operating the amp for a while I could barely here anything.

I took the back plate off to inspect the board and see if there was anything obvious...I don't know a how lot about the guts of an amp but nothing seemed out of place and nothing looked burnt. The RCA inputs have a little play but I wiggled them a bit during operation and didn't hear any feedback or changes in sound. The solder connections where the RCAs connect to the board looked fine too. The only thing that I noticed was that the glue holding down some of the components was darker than other areas. I'll attach some pictures of the guts and that spot I found for review.

I did some research and consulted Spooney as he knows a lot about the inner workings of an amplifier and the thought at this point is that there may be some bad caps on the input side. Any other suggestions about what the issue might be would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 26546686View attachment 26546687

You could have something wrong with the output section of the amp. Even if the internal components still look good with no sign of damage doesn't always mean there is nothing wrong with them. Actually most of the time pieces inside the amplifier will still look good but they are internally shorted or have a open circuit.

That amp actually looks like it has a bit of power.

I've run the amp several times today for at least ten minutes and I didn't notice anything; it hasn't popped on power up today either. Is it possible that the amp just hadn't been powered up for a few years and the components were for lack of a better word "rusty?" I'm at a loss.

You could have something wrong with the output section of the amp. Even if the internal components still look good with no sign of damage doesn't always mean there is nothing wrong with them. Actually most of the time pieces inside the amplifier will still look good but they are internally shorted or have a open circuit.
That amp actually looks like it has a bit of power.
Yeah it has some power for sure! It's CEA-2006 compliant, rated at 2000 x 1 at 1-ohm and 4000 x 1 at .5 ohms. My HDC3 12 loves it! I tuned it with a DMM to just shy of 2000 watts at 1-ohm and it doesn't even get warm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.