Marine Components in a vehicle?

Participant count
  • Participant list

another Lance
10+ year member

I am thinking about getting the marine 7 inch components from JL audio or Alpine to install in my truck. The reason I want marine speakers is because I do a lot of offroading and hose out my interior sometimes.

Are these components going to sound as good as a regular 6.5 component set from the same manufacturer? Do I need to build an enclosure for them in the doors or kick panels? Or are these just made to be played super loud on the back of a boat for wakeboarders? I want good sound quality too.

Usually they sound more 'tin-y'. They have more of a hollow speaker box sound or an old radio/PA sound. They use poly cones.

Quality has improved quite a bit, especially in higher end models. Might want to check at a Boating/Marine store and see if they have speakers on demo? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I wouldn't say they would sound the same as the car speakers. I have heard sets in boats and they have that hollow sound, but you have to remember most boat installs are in fiberglass with lots of open area behind them. I would try them for your truck. Regular speakers wont last at all if you get them wet. I would check these out, 6.5" , 1" silk dome tweeter (most marine speakers i see are titanium dome) , 125rms and a 2.7 ohm impedance so you can get more power from a smaller amp.

Polk Audio MM6501 6.5" Marine Component Speakers 6-1/2" - eBay (item 180624219384 end time Mar-12-11 12:34:34 PST)

or alpine

ALPINE SPR-M70 7-INCH MARINE AUDIO COMPONENT SPEAKERS - eBay (item 280401537933 end time Mar-18-11 11:02:16 PDT)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.