Choosing the right 2way 6.5"

pedracca

Spain
Hello, I am interested in buying a 2way 6,5" for my car but can't decide which ones. Would be glad if someone could comment.

I've narrowed the choices down to this list because I won't be using an amp, I will be feeding them with the HU, an Alpine with 4x27w rms so I suppose the lower the RMS the better. I've looked into the brands that I think may be better towards SQ after some research, but I have no special preference based in experience as I haven't heard any of these.

Coral DLK165

DLS B6

JL Audio C2-650

Focal 165A1

Rainbow CSX265

Diamond Audio D161.5

Budget is around the prices of these, which I think are quite similar. If you have any other recommendation that is not on the list is more than welcome, even if it is above these prices. Only restrain is that I would like to avoid using an external amp.

Thank you very much in advance.

What is your budget? Im not going to look them all up to find out. If your running off of HU power you want something with a high sensitivity.

from my experience u wont notice a difference in SQ or output. ive replace stock speakers with aftermarket, with no amp, noticed nothing

Here I'm listing the prices of them:

114€ - $158 - Coral DLK165

99€ - $138 - DLS B6

169€ - $235 - JL Audio C2-650

124€ - $172 - Focal 165A1

99€ - $138 - Rainbow CSX265

168€ - $233 - Diamond Audio D161.5

Some can be found a bit cheaper, but it gives a rough idea.

Budget isn't really determinant, I would put the limit at $300 to say something.

Thank you!

from my experience u wont notice a difference in SQ or output. ive replace stock speakers with aftermarket, with no amp, noticed nothing
I will be replacing stock speakers from an alfa romeo, believe me, anything would be an improvement //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

^^ B.S.

Unless your car came with some type of "premium" sound package, almost any car can benefit from a speaker upgrade.

The OEM speakers in many cars were farmed out to the lowest bidder. Especially if its a domestic made vehicle.

I haven't looked at the specs of the speakers above, but they are all good quality manufactures/models.

Any of the ones you choose is going to come down to personal preference and RMS requirements.

Other than the source material and amplifier, the speaker will make the biggest difference in sound/tone.

If you can find a store with a well equipped sound wall, you can demo sets side-by-side to see which ones your ears prefer. Finding a sound wall like that is getting hard to find these days. Otherwise you'll have to go by reviews on the SQ. I agree, the more sensitive speakers (more db/watt @ 1M) will be louder, in general.

^^ B.S.
Unless your car came with some type of "premium" sound package, almost any car can benefit from a speaker upgrade.

The OEM speakers in many cars were farmed out to the lowest bidder. Especially if its a domestic made vehicle.

I haven't looked at the specs of the speakers above, but they are all good quality manufactures/models.

Any of the ones you choose is going to come down to personal preference and RMS requirements.

Other than the source material and amplifier, the speaker will make the biggest difference in sound/tone.

If you can find a store with a well equipped sound wall, you can demo sets side-by-side to see which ones your ears prefer. Finding a sound wall like that is getting hard to find these days. Otherwise you'll have to go by reviews on the SQ. I agree, the more sensitive speakers (more db/watt @ 1M) will be louder, in general.
aftermarket speakers on HU power u wont notice it. atleast i havent in the past 2 cars ive changed them. granted my truck had "premium" alpine system

Just throwing some new speakers in won't do much. Treat the baffles and do a little deadening as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

arghhh

I am trying to answer but it keeps telling me that ...

Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.
Why? the message even has an URL nor an offensive word :S

My car doesn't have any sort of premium speakers, in fact, I've had them in my hands and they look like a cardboard piece of crap. I am sure sound will improve with a new set of speakers. At least buying a pair for the fronts is inexpensive enough to give it a try. It is very likely that I will end up with a 2way front + sub + amp in the future, but for now I only want to get an extra for my recent carpc install.

I don't think I will be able to listen to them local...

Sorry for the newbie question, but reading these lines

I agree, the more sensitive speakers (more db/watt 1M) will be louder, in general.
What figures do I have to look at to make sure my Alpine 4x27w RMS will be able to feed them? I thought speaker RMS power was the figure to look at :S

Thank you again!

PS Edit: Found the "offensive" word, it was the "at" from the quote :S

Ramos, Cruzer,

If you don't think speakers make such a difference in sound, why do speakers in comparable installations all sound different? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Remember all the amplifier threads where people claim you can't hear less than 5-10% THD, and quality amps are 1% or less?

Speakers well exceed 5-10% THD, except very high quality speakers. OEM speakers are going to be a lot higher than this.

I agree about Install being important. It still comes down to about 75-80% install and 20-25% equipment. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you're not changing your install (boxes/baffles), your equipment is still going to make a difference in sound.

Pedracca,

The sensitivity is the "Sens: 87.45 1w/1m" type spec. It is the DB output at 1W or sometimes 2.xx Volts from 1 meter (3 feet) away. The more sensitive a speaker (more it reacts to the voltage), the louder (higher db) it will be at that given power.

A speaker with a 95db output will be louder than the one that has the above 87.45db spec.

to op u wont notice a dif unless u amp them and in that case i have a 4 chan and 2 polk audio db650s that pair up nicely and that r loud and clean if u r interested

Ramos, Cruzer,
If you don't think speakers make such a difference in sound, why do speakers in comparable installations all sound different? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Remember all the amplifier threads where people claim you can't hear less than 5-10% THD, and quality amps are 1% or less?

Speakers well exceed 5-10% THD, except very high quality speakers. OEM speakers are going to be a lot higher than this.
I never said stock speakers sound great, or that they cant be pushed to the point of distortion aka sounding bad

yes if u install aftermarket speakers, run them off hu power, u can crank the volume higher with less distortion. however there are a couple of things that also come into play. 1 being that, for my truck anyways, i never had to crank the volume to the point i could clearly and obviously hear the stock speakers distorting and sounding terrible. 2. the head unit can still only go so loud before the signal then becomes part of the equation for distortion and affected SQ.

i guess the best way to put it is this. do you crank your stock speakers up till u hear them sounding horrible? is that the volume u listen to them at? if so, then yes u will benefit from aftermarket speakers.

in my case, i never pushed them that hard, and when i put aftermarket speakers in, i noticed nothing, because both sets of speakers were not being pushed to their limits. without having enough power to give the aftermarket speakers the chance to shine, give their modified sound, dynamics, mid bass, bass, etc. imo its not worth it, nor will the difference be enough to be like, yep, glad i spent $200 on those speakers.

I never said stock speakers sound great, or that they cant be pushed to the point of distortion aka sounding bad
yes if u install aftermarket speakers, run them off hu power, u can crank the volume higher with less distortion. however there are a couple of things that also come into play. 1 being that, for my truck anyways, i never had to crank the volume to the point i could clearly and obviously hear the stock speakers distorting and sounding terrible. 2. the head unit can still only go so loud before the signal then becomes part of the equation for distortion and affected SQ.

i guess the best way to put it is this. do you crank your stock speakers up till u hear them sounding horrible? is that the volume u listen to them at? if so, then yes u will benefit from aftermarket speakers.

in my case, i never pushed them that hard, and when i put aftermarket speakers in, i noticed nothing, because both sets of speakers were not being pushed to their limits. without having enough power to give the aftermarket speakers the chance to shine, give their modified sound, dynamics, mid bass, bass, etc. imo its not worth it, nor will the difference be enough to be like, yep, glad i spent $200 on those speakers.
Even if you dont crank them to the point right under distortion there is still an audible difference in the clarity even in the lower volumes.

There are some headunits that are limitied via hardware that will not send a clipped signal. My 9887 for instance is limited on the hardware side that prevents it from sending a clipped signal through RCA's. I will never have to worry about a clipped signal from my 9887 to the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.