Making your own RCA cables, DO or DON'T?

DaaQ

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 4, 2021
Kentucky
Hello, I want to discuss making RCA cables for the pre outs to the amp.

This is what I did on my wife's car, planned on doing to my vehicle, but I have alternator/engine hiss on her vehicle that I can only get to go away if I turn off I believe it is the HPF switch on her amp.

I've seen suggestions of grounding the RCA ports for quick fixes, I believe I have a ground loop issue personally, but that is besides the point.

I made the RCA cables for the HU to the amp. I used this particular coax cable. 75 Ohm XPRESSPREP Coaxial Headend Cable, Series 59, red flame retardant PVC jacket

I used red and white, the specs are the same for each.

It is Head end coax cable, RG59 quad shield 75ohm with silver coated copper clad steel center conductor, aluminum braiding 95% inner and outer braid shielding. Using RCA compression connector fittings.

This is the type I used. Belden SNS RG59 RCA Compression Connectors

Could this cable be causing me issues? I did not even think to check the different types of pre made RCA cables for car audio and what their OHM ratings might be.

What would be the consensus?
Needless to say I have access to alot of different types of coaxial cable. RG6 35% braided shielding with solid copper center conductor. RG11 copper clad steel center conductor, and the head end quad shield silver plated copper clad steel center conductor. The headend cable is the best quality.

Thank you for any replies, I made an account here due to not getting any responses elsewhere.

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
Making RCAs is not rocket science. Alt hissing can only be solved by testing. Ground the outputs, try another amp/crossover, make sure the head unit is properly grounded, have the alt tested and make sure the factory engine ground wires are still in good shape.

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
I wouldn't mess with it. You can get decent cables for not too much money (I like Rockford Fosgate dual twist cables). If it's something you enjoy doing, the wire and connectors you linked look promising, but I have never made my own cables for car audio.

I think capacitance of the cable has more impact than resistance/impedance. I could be wrong there, though. I'm basing that off the bacnet communication wires I use at work.

whitedragon551

5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Mar 5, 2009
IL
To build several good 15-20' RCA"s you are looking at $100 worth of cabling and ends plus your time. Companies can do it for cheap because of economies of scale. Not worth the investment or time.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
RG59 is video coaxial cable.
Its what is used to do low power video like CCTV security systems.
Its a solid wire core that will break inside the sleeve.
IMO not ideal for car audio.

DaaQ

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 4, 2021
Kentucky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RG59 is video coaxial cable.
Its what is used to do low power video like CCTV security systems.
Its a solid wire core that will break inside the sleeve.
IMO not ideal for car audio.
You are misunderstanding this is headend cable for fiber to RF transference .

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
I always wanted to make my own. Especially strapping cables. Until I priced everything out... NOPE!

Reactions: DaaQ

DaaQ

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 4, 2021
Kentucky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always wanted to make my own. Especially strapping cables. Until I priced everything out... NOPE!
I will say, stay away from PC power supply cables. Yes you get satisfaction from building your own, but do not make the mistake I made and buy a case that is too large for any of the included cables to reach where they need to go.
BTW I bought a CaseLabs STH10 which unfortunately went out of business awhile back, especially after Thermaltake copied their designs and sold them for pennies on the dollar. But that is a whole nother ballgame.

Yes I have access to headend cable, I got enough to do 2 vehicles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds