Lower than rated impedence

Rashaddd
5,000+ posts

Terrrrrist
Sacramento
I have a visonik amp that says its stable at 2 ohms, and now have 3x- single 4 ohm subs hooked up to it making it run at 1.33 ohms. It gets pretty hot and then goes into protection after about an hour of using it, and then in about 10 minutes its good to go again for another half hour or so (I've only repeated this sequence once so far).

I'm wondering if its particularly bad for the amp to be going into protect mode because of over-heating, or is it not that big of a deal for it to protect every once in a while (its not like I'm using it long enough to overheat it all the time).

Also, its being powered by only 8 gauge wire putting out around 800 rms (at 1.33 ohms) and clips at half gain. On 2 ohms it doesn't clip (or inaudibly) even at max gain and puts out about 1000rms. Would I likely get a significant increase in performance from upgrading to some 4 gauge wire?

Thanks for any help

would help to get bigger wire, but most importantly you should start looking for a more stable and amp that puts out a good amount of power that is needed at the right impedance. if your maxing out your amp's gain i'm pretty sure your clipping your subs in general even if you don't hear it.

would help to get bigger wire, but most importantly you should start looking for a more stable and amp that puts out a good amount of power that is needed at the right impedance. if your maxing out your amp's gain i'm pretty sure your clipping your subs in general even if you don't hear it.
yea, I realize the visonik isn't great but for 50 bucks shipped...it does its job. I'm just not quite ready to throw in another 150+ for a new amp yet, so I'm still wondering just how bad it is for it to go into protect mode, and I'll definitely be upgrading wiring

every time the amp goes into protect from heat there is a chance of damage. heat causes everything in the amp to expand(including the copper runs). then when it cools off then it contracts. this can cause hairline cracks in the copper runs. one day it will not come back on.

and yes larger wire is will allow the amp to draw more current.

heat is really bad for everything electronic.... if you ever plan on upgrading your system then 4AWG is a must.... you really shouldnot be running 8 AWG at all

you can pick up a good deal on an amp on here if you jump on it quick

i picked up a hifonic bx1605D for $100 shipped which does 1600 ish watts at 1 ohm

either way you should upgrade your wiring

alright thanks for the info, I'll probly look into buyin a nicer amp in a month or so or if I see a really good deal on here or somethin

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.