low rumbling from my subwoofer randomly?!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi, and thank you for listening

Sometimes I will drive and play music and stop and turn off the car and I will hear a low rumbling from my subwoofer, until I slap the case of the subwoofer firmly.

Yes. Slap it with my hand.

Or if I don't smack it and I turn off my car and let it chill for a bit and start it back up it will be "fixed".

Any idea of what is wrong? This has only started getting worse in the last month or so.

Hi, and thank you for listening
Sometimes I will drive and play music and stop and turn off the car and I will hear a low rumbling from my subwoofer, until I slap the case of the subwoofer firmly.

Yes. Slap it with my hand.

Or if I don't smack it and I turn off my car and let it chill for a bit and start it back up it will be "fixed".

Any idea of what is wrong? This has only started getting worse in the last month or so.
Low rumbling is while you're still playing music, right? Have you tried taking it out of the box?

I had a similar problem, it was the rca's going into the amp. I pulled them out and widened the little gap in them, creating a more snug fit. And yes, I know that all of them are not made that way, just implying that you made need to ensure that yours are not somehow loose, or check the connections to the sub inside the box. I know how trying it can be to troubleshoot your system, just giving my 2cents worth, good luck, and I hope that you can solve this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem, it was the rca's going into the amp. I pulled them out and widened the little gap in them, creating a more snug fit. And yes, I know that all of them are not made that way, just implying that you made need to ensure that yours are not somehow loose, or check the connections to the sub inside the box. I now how trying it can be to troubleshoot your system, just giving my 2cents worth, good luck, and I hope that you can solve this.
yes good point, as my rca were the same way. they even fell off from the bass. it scared me bad as i figure i blow my stuff.... so i pushed in the outer part. now i have to really push them on. but they dont fall off anymore or make noise.

Thanks for the input guys!

Low rumbling is while you're still playing music, right? Have you tried taking it out of the box?
Yea, this happens when music is still playing and when power is still flowing between my HU and amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Taking it out of the box meaning taking the cover off the thing and running it this way for a while? No, but not a bad suggestion! I did check "under the hood" a few months ago for any obvious signs of damage (bulging capacitors..etc) but I could not identify anything

I had a similar problem, it was the rca's going into the amp. I pulled them out and widened the little gap in them, creating a more snug fit. And yes, I know that all of them are not made that way, just implying that you made need to ensure that yours are not somehow loose, or check the connections to the sub inside the box. I know how trying it can be to troubleshoot your system, just giving my 2cents worth, good luck, and I hope that you can solve this.
Hey, not a bad theory. I am using some pretty cheap RCAs from my HU to my subwoofer that unfortunately didn't work natively without using a 1-foot F-M extension, because the "tongue" on the actual cables was not long enough to feed a clean signal to the inputs on my sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif So maybe this has some bearing on the situation hmm.. Thanks for the idea mate

I probably should have also mentioned that I've wired an Axxess GMOS-06 interface in my configuration, so my HU (and amp, respectively) are still running on reserve power after I stop my car and until I open my door.

So, I really only notice this rumbling once I turn my car off and turn my music off (I primarily use an MP3 player). But the low-level rumbling does "kick in" at some point when I am driving, I just don't notice it.

Also, interestingly, I do note on my amplifier when this is happening is that my Bass Expander card will be cycling through its LEDs along with the rumbling, like it is processing audio for bass expansion. Until I slap it. The the rumbling stops and the LEDs go static. lol

(amp: Arc Audio KS1200.1, bass expander edition)

Thanks for the input guys!

Yea, this happens when music is still playing and when power is still flowing between my HU and amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Taking it out of the box meaning taking the cover off the thing and running it this way for a while? No, but not a bad suggestion! I did check "under the hood" a few months ago for any obvious signs of damage (bulging capacitors..etc) but I could not identify anything

Hey, not a bad theory. I am using some pretty cheap RCAs from my HU to my subwoofer that unfortunately didn't work natively without using a 1-foot F-M extension, because the "tongue" on the actual cables was not long enough to feed a clean signal to the inputs on my sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif So maybe this has some bearing on the situation hmm.. Thanks for the idea mate
No worries dude, I know this can be frustrating.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.