low impedence protect

Participant count
  • Participant list

SMS
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MA
I have a basic question, when running an amp at very low impedence and low voltage why cant they just go into a protect mode? why do they fry with all the new tech we have?

I know how to avoid it, i was wondering why the amp doesnt just go into protect instead of popping

depending on the amps they will, some amps are made for super low impedance s for burping only. But there are a few .25 daily amps out there.

I'm with you on this, I've had some amps blow and one caught on fire. so what good is protect when it never protected it. It should know when low voltage or what not.

All the amps I own will protect.
i was reading a thread about runnning a sa2500 at .5 and most people were saying be careful and watch your voltage.

Im running a DD M1c and want to runn two D2 in parallel in a burp box. im running a D1.4 now and my voltage doesnt go below 13- so i should be good at .5.

Its not going to double the power but lets say the amp will do 1500w at 1ohm, approx what you think it would do at .5? Im not taking rise and all into account. just trying to keep it simple if possible.

thanks for any help

Taylor- i know you do alot of clamps, you know what a M1c has clamped? I cant find it anywhere, it doesnt seem to be a popular amp but for what i payed its alot of power with little draw

i was reading a thread about runnning a sa2500 at .5 and most people were saying be careful and watch your voltage.Im running a DD M1c and want to runn two D2 in parallel in a burp box. im running a D1.4 now and my voltage doesnt go below 13- so i should be good at .5.

Its not going to double the power but lets say the amp will do 1500w at 1ohm, approx what you think it would do at .5? Im not taking rise and all into account. just trying to keep it simple if possible.

thanks for any help
You're running .7 daily right now? .5 will be no sweat.

1500@1 would mean maybe 18-1900ish @ .7, maybe 2300ish @ .5 if you're lucky. I've never tested that amp so I'm just guessing, but based on other solid 1.5-2k's I've had.

I could run my d9's strapped at .25 each and normally they wouldn't protect on burps. Music it wouldn't protect as long as I could keep the songs above 50hz.

Taylor- i know you do alot of clamps, you know what a M1c has clamped? I cant find it anywhere, it doesnt seem to be a popular amp but for what i payed its alot of power with little draw
Yeah, I can't say that I've ever seen a clamp of that amp. Looks like a nice one though and DD is SUPER solid in general. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 2k out of that amp if you can stay around 13v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.