Loudest 5.25's

A high end coaxial set that comes to mind is the Morel Hybrid Integra 502, which is fairly expensive. There's also the Integra Ovation XO 5 at ~$400. There aren't a lot of options for good quality 5.25" coaxials and none of them will be forgiving with 300W on tap. You'll have to be very careful with that much power. Honestly, "very loud" and 5.25" don't go hand in hand for what I have in mind for a definition of very loud. If you want to approach the level of a live rock concert, for example, you're going to be straining most, if not all, 5.25" coaxials to the breaking point.

A high end coaxial set that comes to mind is the Morel Hybrid Integra 502, which is fairly expensive. There's also the Integra Ovation XO 5 at ~$400. There aren't a lot of options for good quality 5.25" coaxials and none of them will be forgiving with 300W on tap. You'll have to be very careful with that much power. Honestly, "very loud" and 5.25" don't go hand in hand for what I have in mind for a definition of very loud. If you want to approach the level of a live rock concert, for example, you're going to be straining most, if not all, 5.25" coaxials to the breaking point.
x2

loudest thing your likely to find.. Louder than any car audio branded mid you'll find and sounds much better to boot, probably going to want to cross it over at 100hz, maybe 120hz.

I don’t know if anyone else experiences this as bad as I do, but it’s bad in my case. The worst part about it is that I don’t like telling people, but I love writing about it because it makes me feel better.

Overview

Boston Z5's if you can find some. They had a coaxial mounting option for the tweeter, but you'll need to deal with the big crossovers and hipass them at 125.

I have a pair of 5.25 mids with 3in coils took 150w like it was nothing. Doors didn't have enough clearance so I took them out.

I have an old school set of boston proseries 5.4x. 5.25 component set with crossovers. Also have a less beefy set boston RC51x 5.25 set with crossovers.

ears start to hurt.
This is different for everyone. Some people are really sensitive to treble and so they might be in pain well before you. On this Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart in indicates that the pain threshold is 125 dB. That's twice as loud as a rock concert at 115 dB.

While we don't hear in decibels this kind of data exists as a reference so we don't need to keep saying the disclaimer, "depending on your definition".

Never been a big fan of the 5" class speakers I always just jog the holes out to fit 6.5's. I like the infinity kappa 6.5's for a harsh loud mid/high at a reasonable price (100$) almost everywhere they are sold. But 300watts s is going to really make them touchy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.