Looking for a little help finishing up my enclosure design for a TC 12Q1 driver.

Participant count
  • Participant list

95TsiAWD
10+ year member

Ok I have ordered a TC Sounds 12Q1 driver along with a Precision Sound 2" Flare port, I only have 7.75" of internal depth where the port will be mounted using 3/4" material for the enclosure. If I went with a 3" Flare port it would require more length, I realize the 2" port may have some port noise but since the subwoofer will be in a trunk in my application I am not too worried about it.

I am building a vented enclosure of 1.7 cu ft NET. I am undecided between tuning it to 30hz or 32hz, maybe you guys can lend some advice. I listen to a little rap, a little rock, and a lot of mid to higher beats per minute dance music.

I can go smaller on the cubic foot of the enclosure if you guys recommend that for my listening preferences, the smaller the better for my trunk actually but I dont want to compromise performance either. I want it to be capable of the lows for sure, I have good CDT components for the mids and highs.

According to Precision Sounds port calculator I need a port length of 4.4005" for 32hz and 5.0705" for 30hz. Calculator found here: Products Menu

However their calculator does not show the volume displacement for their flare ports, I have tried calling them and emailing them for info. Hoping someone here knows. I assume I cant use just a standard port displacement calculator for a flare port.

The next things is I cant find the volume displacement of the 12Q1 Driver anywhere. Ive called Parts Express and they didnt have the info. Ive emailed TC Sounds with no response as of yet.

I'd really love if I could build this enclosure tomorrow, but I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help on this!

Ok I have ordered a TC Sounds 12Q1 driver along with a Precision Sound 2" Flare port, I only have 7.75" of internal depth where the port will be mounted using 3/4" material for the enclosure. If I went with a 3" Flare port it would require more length, I realize the 2" port may have some port noise but since the subwoofer will be in a trunk in my application I am not too worried about it.
I am building a vented enclosure of 1.7 cu ft NET. I am undecided between tuning it to 30hz or 32hz, maybe you guys can lend some advice. I listen to a little rap, a little rock, and a lot of mid to higher beats per minute dance music.

I can go smaller on the cubic foot of the enclosure if you guys recommend that for my listening preferences, the smaller the better for my trunk actually but I dont want to compromise performance either. I want it to be capable of the lows for sure, I have good CDT components for the mids and highs.

According to Precision Sounds port calculator I need a port length of 4.4005" for 32hz and 5.0705" for 30hz. Calculator found here: Products Menu

However their calculator does not show the volume displacement for their flare ports, I have tried calling them and emailing them for info. Hoping someone here knows. I assume I cant use just a standard port displacement calculator for a flare port.

The next things is I cant find the volume displacement of the 12Q1 Driver anywhere. Ive called Parts Express and they didnt have the info. Ive emailed TC Sounds with no response as of yet.

I'd really love if I could build this enclosure tomorrow, but I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help on this!
Aero port volume is r2 x 3.14(pi) x length. Take that sum and divide by 1728, that's your displacement. Roughly .009 @30hz

I think Ive found another way to install the port so that I can do a 3" aeroport 9.7483" long to attain a 32hz tune in a 1.7 cu ft box. That will probably be better to avoid port noise.

So now all I need to know is the vd of the TC Sounds 12q1 driver. ugh.

Aero port volume is r2 x 3.14(pi) x length. Take that sum and divide by 1728, that's your displacement. Roughly .009 @30hz
Is a 3" aeroport exactly 3" ID all the way through? I was under the impression that aeroports taper.

Also, technically for equating port displacement, wouldnt one have to use the OD of the port tube? Which would be more than 3" diameter.

And the first 3/4" of the length of the port I wouldnt include in the displacement equation because its mounted in the wood and not inside the internal volume of the enclosure, right? But I would of course include that first 3/4" in port volume for tuning.

Also, technically for equating port displacement, wouldnt one have to use the OD of the port tube? Which would be more than 3" diameter.
And the first 3/4" of the length of the port I wouldnt include in the displacement equation because its mounted in the wood and not inside the internal volume of the enclosure, right? But I would of course include that first 3/4" in port volume for tuning.
Yes OD. So multiply the radius by 2. If you're using the precision flared port they say add 1" to the total length.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.