$$$$!!! ( Long! )

03LX470
10+ year member

Colorado
Hey all, I am new to this forum. I have a couple of questions for you experts, hopefully you can answer all of my questions. I am from Seattle, WA, and all of the audio work will be done somewhere within Washington.....(innovative audio? in bellevue?)

I have a New 2003 SUV . I wanted to upgrade the sound system, ) and I went to a high end car audio shop, because the car that I bought is considered a high end car. I was quoted about $7,500 for the equipment and the install. This is what they reccomended.

1 Set Focal Utopia 6.5 components

1 Set Focal Polykevlar 5.25? Components

1 JL audio 300/4 Amp

1 JL audio 500/1 Amp

1 12 inch Kicker Solobaric L7

I wanted to keep the stock look of the ride, so I did not opt to change anything with the look. For the sub-woofer enclosure they told me that they wanted to build a fiberglass enclosure over the wheel well, but make it look stock as well. I did have one special request of there services, as I plan on trading this 2003 in for the 2004 in about 1 year, so I wanted nothing to be permanent. HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS! This place is pretty much the only shop that I know of that does extremely quality work, and I know that I can trust...but if there are anyother let a brotha know!!!

Rollin on~

This high end car audio shop is pretty much charging me full I mean FULL price for the audio equipment ($1,300 for the UTOPIAS??) and about $8,000 for the full hook up? Man this just seems way way overpriced. Guys please give me some feedback or some other options(other car audio shops)!!!

Originally posted by 03LX470 Hey all, I am new to this forum. I have a couple of questions for you experts, hopefully you can answer all of my questions. I am from Seattle, WA, and all of the audio work will be done somewhere within Washington.....(innovative audio? in bellevue?)

I have a New 2003 SUV . I wanted to upgrade the sound system, ) and I went to a high end car audio shop, because the car that I bought is considered a high end car. I was quoted about $7,500 for the equipment and the install. This is what they reccomended.

1 JL audio 300/4 Amp

1 JL audio 500/1 Amp

I wanted to keep the stock look of the ride, so I did not opt to change anything with the look. For the sub-woofer enclosure they told me that they wanted to build a fiberglass enclosure over the wheel well, but make it look stock as well. I did have one special request of there services, as I plan on trading this 2003 in for the 2004 in about 1 year, so I wanted nothing to be permanent. HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS! This place is pretty much the only shop that I know of that does extremely quality work, and I know that I can trust...but if there are anyother let a brotha know!!!

Rollin on~

This high end car audio shop is pretty much charging me full I mean FULL price for the audio equipment ($1,300 for the UTOPIAS??) and about $8,000 for the full hook up? Man this just seems way way overpriced. Guys please give me some feedback or some other options(other car audio shops)!!!

Go to http://www.ebay.com but all your stuff from a well know seller with a good reputation (feedback) and then take it all to them and have them install it if you dont want to mess with it yourself , If you can do some of it it would save you even more money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by 03LX470 Hey all, I am new to this forum. I have a couple of questions for you experts, hopefully you can answer all of my questions. I am from Seattle, WA, and all of the audio work will be done somewhere within Washington.....(innovative audio? in bellevue?)

1 JL audio 300/4 Amp

1 JL audio 500/1 Amp

Rollin on~

The utopias are about $530 on ebay, and the polykevlar are under $250. Jl 300/4 is $370, 500/1 is $400. A 12" L7 is $199. That totals $1650. They are ripping you off. And if you're gonna go with a sealed fiberglass enclosure, don't go with a L7.

Off of Ebay? I have thought of that. The problem is the warranty usually does not carry over as many of the manufacturers, do not support the 'ebay' craze. And some of you do not reccomend a Square sub? Why is that? I know that the Utopias are a great set of speakers, but as far as AMPS and the SUB woofer what do you reccomend? I don't have the time or the skill to do the install myself, and I would just rather pay some pro to do it anyways. Any shops you guys reccomend? I also will be in Colorado Springs in about 1 month so that will work as well if anybody has a shop in Denver.

Thanks for the replys!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by 03LX470 Off of Ebay? I have thought of that. The problem is the warranty usually does not carry over as many of the manufacturers, do not support the 'ebay' craze. And some of you do not reccomend a Square sub? Why is that? I know that the Utopias are a great set of speakers, but as far as AMPS and the SUB woofer what do you reccomend? I don't have the time or the skill to do the install myself, and I would just rather pay some pro to do it anyways. Any shops you guys reccomend? I also will be in Colorado Springs in about 1 month so that will work as well if anybody has a shop in Denver.

Thanks for the replys!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Ok for $7500 you could buy this stuff 6 times over , Why are you worried about a warranty at 1/6th of the price ????????

Originally posted by 03LX470 Off of Ebay? I have thought of that. The problem is the warranty usually does not carry over as many of the manufacturers, do not support the 'ebay' craze. And some of you do not reccomend a Square sub? Why is that? I know that the Utopias are a great set of speakers, but as far as AMPS and the SUB woofer what do you reccomend? I don't have the time or the skill to do the install myself, and I would just rather pay some pro to do it anyways. Any shops you guys reccomend? I also will be in Colorado Springs in about 1 month so that will work as well if anybody has a shop in Denver.

Ok. The Kicker Solobarics are very nice SPL subs, and I only suggest them if you are gonna go ported. If you go sealed, I'd say look into an Adire Audio Brahma, one of the best subs out there. For an amp, you can get a JBL 1200.1 for under $300. The focals are very good speakers. For the speaker amp, look into soundstream and us acoustics 4 channel amps, or even that JL 300/4 if you have the money. Here are some sites to take a look at...
http://www.adireaudio.com

http://www.ikesound.com

http://www.etronics.com

http://www.thezeb.com

If you have the money, you could also get a JL 1000/1 and a JL12w7 or 13w7...

Thanks again for the speedy replies..

I would be comfortable spending about $5,000 on the equipment and the install together. The problem is I just need a shop to install all of this equipment. What do you guys reccomend for the sub? I know that I am going to go with the following:

6.5 Focal Utopia components

5.25 either Utopia or Polykevlar components

JL Audio Amps 300/4 for the Focal Speakers

JL audio 500/1 for the subwoofer

Fiberglass enclosure over the rear tire well, preferebly small and not taking up much cargo space.

What subwoofer should I go with? JL audio W6 V.2???

Rollin ~

Originally posted by 03LX470 Thanks again for the speedy replies..

I would be comfortable spending about $5,000 on the equipment and the install together. The problem is I just need a shop to install all of this equipment. What do you guys reccomend for the sub? I know that I am going to go with the following:

Fiberglass enclosure over the rear tire well, preferebly small and not taking up much cargo space.

Rollin ~
come on over for $5000 I will put it in and buy all the equipment //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by 03LX470 Thanks again for the speedy replies..

Rollin ~
That would be a good sub for that setup, will all sound very crisp and clean. Go to the shop and ask them how much it would be just for the install. I think you can find most if not all of that stuff online for a lot cheaper, probably with a warranty if you look around. You might be able to save a few grand if you do so.
P.S.- why don't you send me some money for my system, lol:D

yeah yeah yeah, I know that YOU GUYS could probably give me a killer install, but realistically it will not work. I found the following online so far:

Focal Utopias front doors and rear doors about $1,000. for both. (CBR car stereo)

JL Audio 300/4 = $375 (america audio)

JL Audio 500/1 = $400 (america audio)

ps- I have a JBL 1200.1 Amp sitting in my basement....Of course the audio shop that I went to suggested that I go with the JL audio Amps....

Still not sure on what sub to go with....you say that the JL Audio W6. V.2 will be sufficient with the 500/1? Give me all honest opinions guys...

Thanks

Rizzolin~

Originally posted by 03LX470 yeah yeah yeah, I know that YOU GUYS could probably give me a killer install, but realistically it will not work. I found the following online so far:

Focal Utopias front doors and rear doors about $1,000. for both. (CBR car stereo)

JL Audio 300/4 = $375 (america audio)

JL Audio 500/1 = $400 (america audio)

ps- I have a JBL 1200.1 Amp sitting in my basement....Of course the audio shop that I went to suggested that I go with the JL audio Amps....

Still not sure on what sub to go with....you say that the JL Audio W6. V.2 will be sufficient with the 500/1? Give me all honest opinions guys...

Thanks

Rizzolin~
Dude, use that JBL amp!!! Buy 2 w6v2's, that amp will power them good!!!

All of these components will be running off of my stock headunit, as I want to keep it stock looking......If I bought the JL audio 12W7 and powered it with my JBL1200.1 will this be enough power? As for the subwoofer enclosure, I want to keep it as small as possible, and in doing so will result in a fiberglass enclosure over the rear tire well.....sealed is fine with this setup? I am pretty sure that over 1000 watts will be more than enough bass for my ears, as I was going to be happy with 1 W6 and 500 watts....what do you think? How much would this kind of an install usually be? On a high end vehicle?

Rizzolskiing~

ps- $5,000 is on your way.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by 03LX470 All of these components will be running off of my stock headunit, as I want to keep it stock looking......If I bought the JL audio 12W7 and powered it with my JBL1200.1 will this be enough power? As for the subwoofer enclosure, I want to keep it as small as possible, and in doing so will result in a fiberglass enclosure over the rear tire well.....sealed is fine with this setup? I am pretty sure that over 1000 watts will be more than enough bass for my ears, as I was going to be happy with 1 W6 and 500 watts....what do you think? How much would this kind of an install usually be? On a high end vehicle?

Rizzolskiing~

ps- $5,000 is on your way.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Ummm...I don't know much with JL, because it's too **** expensive for me(not you though...hehe)...but I think that running over 1000 watts will void the warranty on the w7...plus the coil config on the w7 is SVC 3 ohms I believe, so your best bet would be to get a JL 1000/1 amp to power it. I can't see an install going over $1000, but thats just me.
PS- You should sell that JBL 1200.1 on this forum, guarantee you that it'll sell in less than a day.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Oh, and I'll be waiting at the post office for that $5,000, lol:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.