Locating shorts

Participant count
  • Participant list

jackjohn13
10+ year member

Boston
Headunit wont work nor will the cigarette lighter outlet. I know they are driven by the same circuit so there HAS to be a short. Now im just wondering if i need to remove all of my dash trim to get a good look at the wiring. Or is there another way to find out? Also the fuse wasnt popped that belongs to the cigarette lighter outlet/radio. EVERYTIHNG else in the car works though? Most of you know alot more than i do... So any feedback is good. Thanks

You probably checked the wrong fuse, I'd check and make sure they're all not blown. Otherwise, go at it with a test light. Its the only way.

Thanks guys... But i checked all the fuses inside and they were all good. I checked visually and with the tester light. And for the under the hood thing, my VW doesnt have a fuse box in the engine bay. It has a little dinky fuse holder that has 1 fuse, that was also in working order. Its absolutely mind blowing. I cant think of anything else that it could be. If its a short the fuse should be popped if its not a short what could it be?

Do you know where the fuses are under the hood? I looked everywhere i have heard of little 7.5 fuses under the hood that cause alot of radio issues, i just didnt see any fuse box. Im certain i checked the right fuse all of the diagrams i saw said that that fuse was the one. How can i test the harness itself for power? without cutting the blocks of the end.

I just got the car and the knuckle head before me did an awful job wiring when i pulled the wiring harness out the wires touched. i heard a crackle, by test light do you mean the little srewdriver looking thing with the ground on the other side? and how are those solo x's?

I just got the car and the knuckle head before me did an awful job wiring when i pulled the wiring harness out the wires touched. i heard a crackle, by test light do you mean the little srewdriver looking thing with the ground on the other side? and how are those solo x's?
Yes that's a test light. And yes you have power. Should probably start by making sure all those connections aren't touching behind the dash. And I love my solo x. Got it in my civic hatch.

can i do that with the little tester light? ive never head to trouble shoot a short haha im knew to this. and im gonna have to figure out how to tear my dash apart the whole top of the fuse box is tucked way up under the dash so i cant get to it. i should be testing the power wire right? or should i check all of them. all 4,000 of them.

Yeah idk my buddy had a multimeter im gonna give that a shot. i have 2 12"cvx that i had in my grand prix for a week before the tranny blew. i finally got a new car and this happend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.