Finally installing audio system, what to do with old wiring?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello,

About 6 months ago I purchased a Alpine CDA-105 HU, a set of Infinity Reference 6830cs speakers, and an Infinity Reference 475a amp. I have a standard cab 1997 Ford Ranger, and at the time, only had an hour or so of spare time, so only got to installing the HU. The HU alone upped the sound quality enough that I was lazy and just left the speakers stock. Well, now those speakers are pretty much destroyed, even at normal listening volume, you can tell they're ruined.

Anyways, I now finally want to install the speakers and amp. I have a DB Link PK4Z wiring kit that I plan to do this with. I have done a fair bit of research and only have one final question that I didn't really find an answer to. When I install the new speakers and amp, should I be leaving the old speaker wires connected to the wiring harness and will I do any harm leaving them connected, even if I don't actually use those wires? I would like to just leave the wires where they are and wrap the ends in electrical tape. Also, I would set POWER IC to OFF in the HU settings.

I only ask because when I sell the truck in probably 2-3 years, I will want to remove the aftermarket HU, speakers and amp, and put back the stock HU and some new, cheapy speakers. Because of this, I would like to leave the stock wiring in place to make it as easy and pain-free as possible to do this. If anyone could provide some insight on the best way to handle this type of situation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Also, before it is asked, I plan to potentially install a subwoofer in the very limited space in the future. I would like to get these installed first though, to see if I really even need a subwoofer. I suspect these speakers alone, in the small regular cab will produce enough bass that I won't desire one.

Also, guess I lied, thought of one more thing. I read around a LOT before thinking of doing this install myself. The general consensus was to only install the front speakers and to not even bother with the rear speakers. I was planning to follow that advice since I only have one pair of speakers anyways and would have to buy another pair to install the rears, though was going to run all the wiring for those too since I have it, just in case. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Alright great, thanks for the info. I assumed this could be done, but wasn't sure how the HU would handle it since I'm an EE, but have zero experience with car audio systems. Thanks again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.