Local Audio Company v. Premier DEH-P880PRS

firealhrdcor
10+ year member

Hey folks. It's been a long time since I've visited here but I'm finally in the market for a new cd player.

Anyway, I was just about completely decided on the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS as I've read great reviews and its simple with good options for a nice price. But in the last week or so I realized that the company my brother works for, McIntosh Labs, also makes some car audio components in addition to their high end home stereos. I'm not much of an audio guru but if some of you could share your thoughts on this cdplayer from McIntosh Labs based on the specs and how it compares to other cdplayers on the market I'd appreciate it. What I'm really concerned with is the 20bit D/A converters. How much will that improve sound quality on a standard cd?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=2&id=33&cat=Control+Centers+%26+CD+Changers&prodid=1077&product=MX406

Please share any more thoughs on the DEH-P880PRS as well. Even though my brother gets a 60% discount on McIntosh products, I have a feeling that cdplayer may still be out of my pricerange, I'll find out next week though.

Enough ranting, thanks for the help!

First of all I would love it if my brother worked McIntosh. I think those retail for right around a grand. With a 60% discount that deck would only run you $400. I would take that in a NY minute. It is head and shoulders above the 880. On the downside the MAC deck would need an outboard crossover. If you run that deck with an amp and passive spearkers you would not be let down. That is great deck. Don't pass up this opportunity.

What I'm really concerned with is the 20bit D/A converters. How much will that improve sound quality on a standard cd?
It would improve the quality quite a bit. High end Denon receivers use 20 bit converters as well.

I'd go with the McIntosh deck any day of the week. Can we say earsex?
Word.

Especially with that kind of a discount.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Haha yeah I was just reading through this forum and realized that McIntosh is more popular than I thought. I recently sat in on their open house where they displayed 15,600 watts in a $500,000 home theater that was just incredible.

I'll get a price on the McIntosh this week and hopefully talk to some people there about it and maybe get a listen.

Haha yeah I was just reading through this forum and realized that McIntosh is more popular than I thought. I recently sat in on their open house where they displayed 15,600 watts in a $500,000 home theater that was just incredible.
I'll get a price on the McIntosh this week and hopefully talk to some people there about it and maybe get a listen.
This is the only online price I could find.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=14&mfg_account_ID=94&category_id=8

Say you get that deck for like $500, if you can afford it and the processing to go with it, you'd be good to go.
Actually he may not need much processing. It all depends on what he wants out of it. He could run that with a nice 4 channel amp and run a set of comps up front and a sub in the back and have great sound.

do you have a sister I can marry so I can get into the family for a discount? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

j/k man, anyways, ive had the opportunity to demo a 880 and I loathed it. Felt real plastic and cheaply made (in reference to the price at least) ... I actually liked the Pioneer 760 better, and thats not saying alot to begin with....

Id jump at the Mc stuff too. allthough I cant think of a single Mcintosh head unit that has any significant onboard processing for preout crossovers......but you could buy externals, its not THAT big of a deal. Hell ive got the 760 and it has onboard processing, and I dont even use 90% of it, because my external Audiocontrol xovers do it all. But ya know, its a bit over complicated, heh.

do you have a sister I can marry so I can get into the family for a discount? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
j/k man, anyways, ive had the opportunity to demo a 880 and I loathed it. Felt real plastic and cheaply made (in reference to the price at least) ... I actually liked the Pioneer 760 better, and thats not saying alot to begin with....
I got to handle an 880 myself and I don't know what you're comparing it to but I found it to be pretty beefy compared to the other models in the '05 and '06 lineup. I mean the front panel is a bit flimsy but all decks that have plastic front panels are going to feel flimsy. Sure the MAC deck is made alot better but then again the MX406 is alot more expensive.

Thanks for keeping up with this thread guys. I won't get too specific into what I actually want to end up with in terms of a complete system because I dont have all the funds for it at this point. (But I'm all about sound quality and you folks seem to speak highly of the Fi Q series.) I think a 10 would do the trick, I'd like a super tight and accurate, 'musical' woofer. I'm a 90% metal/hardcore punk, 10% hiphop guy.

Anyway, I had an audio system setup 2-3 years ago but got away from it for awhile during college. I did manage to hang on to my amps though. I'm not sure if it matters but I have:

USAmps 4260

USAmps DE1000

(I'm currently driving a 1999 Subaru Impreza wagon)

I appreciate the feedback, and feel free to keep bouncing ideas back and forth (like what you'd do with what I've got), I'm listening!

^^ LIke mentioned above,If you are all about sq, then make sure you get an external eq for the mac deck. Otherwise the 880 will serve you better, with much more tuning capabilities.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.