Lingering Resin Smell

freddie
10+ year member

On Sunday night I glassed in a form to go into a rear storage compartment in my truck. I put down just one layer of matte over masking tape. On Monday morning I pulled the form out of the truck.

Ever since I've left my truck with the door windows, rear window and the sun roof open. Yet the **** resin smell is still strong as ever in the truck. It is as if the seats have absorbed it. There isn't any actual resin in the truck, hasn't been since I pulled the form on Monday morning.

How long is is going to take for this to dissipate and is there anything I can do to help it along? Having children in a fiberglass fumed up vehicle is not a good idea.

Can't drive with the windows down due to the weather.

i had this problem, the perfect solution was, I went to wal-mart, picked up that smelly leaf, and then bought these air vents, that are like little clip on pieces that go into your a/c vents and blow out a fresh smell when you turn ur a/c on, plus the smelly leaf pretty much takes over your car, espically if its hott where u live, this worked within half a day!

I had the same problem, and I didnt even glass inside my car.. I put a couple layers of resin inside of my MDF enclosure, and just having the enclosure in my trunk got the stank in the car for a few days. Wait it out, or get airfreshener.

i cant remember the name of the stuff we use but it is like a wax that we melt with a heat gun into the poly resin and mix in B4 we mix the Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone Peroxide (M.E.K.P Catalyst) or in normal english "harder" and it would not stink up the shop or the car.. i will find the name out when i go in 2 morro.

1. Welcome to the forum my brother

2. Should have put another layer or three on before you removed it to fight against warpage.

3. Air fresheners be it automotive or in a can are your friend. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Is the resin still sticky? Maybe you didn't use enough hardener //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The enclosure is only .4 cubes and yes it is quite hard. As I said, the enclosure hasn't been in the car since Monday morning so whether I used enough harderner or not isn't relevant at any rate. The shape has four sides and a bottom so I don't really see how it is going to warp. It has a recessed lip on the top that a mdf baffle will be placed in as well. Warpage isn't an issue, just that **** smell that gives me a headache within 30 seconds. Air fresheners may mask the smell but the underlying fumes, which are not healthy, will still be present. Hopefully they will dissipate soon enough.

Epoxy resin, yes, I forgot about it but doesn't matter much now since I can't undo the smell that is already there.

I have a puddle of resin with no hardener in it on my garage floor, it's been there for months and still smells. That's why I asked. Sounds relevant.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.