Led clip indicator

Participant count
  • Participant list

Raging.waters

I was recently about to purchase a JBL GTO 5EZ amp to power my sub's and new 6x8's. Just as I had got my money ready it was sold. I was doing a lot of research prior to getting my money ready and noticed the JBL had a built in led indicator for setting the gain properly. I thought that was a good feature. I just got a deal on a Kenwood mono amp and a clarion 4 channel amp for roughly a cheaper price than the jbl. They do not come with the led feature. I was wondering if there was an universal aftermarket led clip indicator? Like it would connect to the amps via RCA and use LEDs to help guide me to proper gain set up. I'm using this for both the mini amp and 4 channel.

All the following answers aren't perfect and you will see why-

Using a multimeter, DD-1, o-scope, etc are PASSIVE tools for setting gain.

Neither one will set an amplifier up perfectly for music playback.

So, what if your amplifier did have a clip indicator?

Well, then here comes the fact that indicators only work properly when used with sine waves.

Since music is dynamic, even though a clip indicator is ACTIVE, it still will not be fully accurate.

If the goal is no clipping at all, then unless you use an amplifier with an anti-clipping feature, there is no way to get the most out of the amplifier clip-free guaranteed because different songs have different dynamics.

Now, if you say well, some clipping is fine as long as it's not audible as much or causes as much heat buildup when accidentally running in excessive clipping, i'd say do not use class-d amplifier.

Class AB amplifier is much more soothing and subtle when running into clipping than a class d amplifier.

The proper way still is to use your senses when handling the volume knob.

OK and one more question. Since I know how I will set the gain, with my new amps, what should my hz on both amps be set to? I heard 80 hz is good/universal for mono amps but what about my 4 channel? Like what do yal suggest I start around? 80 hz as well but just turn on the high pass filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.