LED accent lights

LoudCrownVic
5,000+ posts

1/1 of Team Team Team
As it says in my sig, i have green led accent lights in my vehicle. They come on under the dash when I turn on the headlights, and dim and brighten when the voltmeter dips from the amplifier drawing. This is was fun for awhile but now it is just nuerotic.

What i am asking is:

Is there a switch out there that recieves 12 volts from the battery(like an amp), but is switched on by the accessory wire or ignition on signal wire? I

couldn't you just run a wire from the + on your battery, put a switch in, run it to the LEDs, and then ground it to the chassis? this might need a little modification but you get the idea

Oops.. Sorry about the double post... And no, I'd like it to turn on with the car. With as much room I have under the dash to wire, it would be dangerous, as once the battery turns off the led's are too dim to see them, and I'd more than likely leave them on, which would, after quite some time burn up the battery. I want to get a better connection to them too. The underlying premise is to be able to wire about 24 led's of different colors to come on/pulse with varying intensities and or frequencies of the music. i just need a stable power source to run them all (besides my dash light wire splice) and later the gadget or gadgets that do the dimming pulsing to the sound.

You can hook them up to your interior lights. Youd have to get the wiring color codes for your vehicle to make sure you tap into the right wire.

As for it doing both, im not too sure how that would work without being a major fire hazard. You would need some sort of bypass switch on the connection to the interior lights and then a switch for the pulsating...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.