Late model head unit installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

wevie
10+ year member

Iowa
A friend would like a head unit installed in his 2006 Grand Prix.

I have not done a late model install before and my question is regarding the wiring adapter/interface. I'm hoping to get a couple of product recommendations.

The first option I hope you can give me is for a low cost wiring adapter that simply makes the aftermarket head unit operate without any fancy bells or whistles.

The second option I'm looking for would be for full integration with the steering wheel controls and door chimes, etc.

Thanks for your time.

**Car does not have on star. Car does not have XM.

Iirc, the stereos wiring harness should match the colors of the pontiacs wiring harness, if anything tbe kits like 5-10 dollars. door chimes are not controlled through the headunit, but steering wheel control is headunit dependant so you need to find one that has it included.

Metra #s GMRC-01 and GMOS-01 will be both be plug and play and retain chimes. In late model GM vehicles, the chimes are controlled through the radio, as well as the 10 minute playback when the car is shut off until the door is open. These can both be found on ebay for under $40 and if you'll looking for as easy as it gets, these are the ones to use.

If the deck has 4 preouts that won't be used for amps, you can also find the GMOS-04, which is even easier to use.

If you're not trying to spend that much money, get the Metra 70-2003. Everything will match up. Only issue is you will have to run a new switched power wire. In other words, the red wire from the deck will need to get connected to a different power source in the car. This is because the stock radio receives its turn on signal from the BCM in the form of data. Once you run that wire however, the deck will be functional. This method WILL lose door chimes and the ten minute playback feature.

I would recomend going ahead and spending the cash on the interface that acutally utilizes the CAN-BUS system. This is because I have seen a few problems arise with just rigging the alternate harness. I would also say...go ahead and get all the goodies becauses chances are you will realize you do..or your friend does want all of it to be retained, and if you haven't already set it up, you have to pull everything all back out. Take it from someone who knows the more you pull stuff apart, the worse it goes back together.

Metra #s GMRC-01 and GMOS-01 will be both be plug and play and retain chimes. In late model GM vehicles, the chimes are controlled through the radio, as well as the 10 minute playback when the car is shut off until the door is open. These can both be found on ebay for under $40 and if you'll looking for as easy as it gets, these are the ones to use.
If the deck has 4 preouts that won't be used for amps, you can also find the GMOS-04, which is even easier to use.

If you're not trying to spend that much money, get the Metra 70-2003. Everything will match up. Only issue is you will have to run a new switched power wire. In other words, the red wire from the deck will need to get connected to a different power source in the car. This is because the stock radio receives its turn on signal from the BCM in the form of data. Once you run that wire however, the deck will be functional. This method WILL lose door chimes and the ten minute playback feature.

Thank you!

I think the GMOS-04 sounds like the way to go. I'll be installing a JVC KW-HDR81BT.

My only question then is steering wheel controls. Do I still need an aditional adapter to utilize the steering wheel controls?

Thank you!
I think the GMOS-04 sounds like the way to go. I'll be installing a JVC KW-HDR81BT.

My only question then is steering wheel controls. Do I still need an aditional adapter to utilize the steering wheel controls?
Yeh, the GMOS-04 will connect straight to your front and rear RCAs on the deck reducing the number of wires you need to connect by 8. You will unfortunately need another adapter for steering wheel controls. I've had good luck with Metra's ASWC. PAC also makes one that I used once before with no issues, just not as familiar with it. If you go with the ASWC, I believe (don't quote me), but the GMOS-04 will have an input for the steering wheel controls that's self learning. Connections will be the same, programming procedure would be eliminated completely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.