LARGE, complex system install... Whaddya need?

LoudCrownVic
5,000+ posts

1/1 of Team Team Team
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryexcited.gif.c26a15f316d23068607f36ddacd7a7ab.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryexcited.gif.c26a15f316d23068607f36ddacd7a7ab.gif

I am going to do my first big "real" install.

A friend of mine is down on his luck (on depression meds and stuff) and he is going to take this friday off of work to put his long awaited system in his Suburban Diesel.

I want it to go trouble free, but I have a creeping feeling I'm going to miss something and it's going to turn into a 12 hour nerve wracking frayed wire mess.

He has:

4ch sony 444watt amp used

new sony headunit, 2 RCA outputs

4 new sony speakers (nicer ones)

a PPI PCX 2200 amp (courtesy of me)

2 pyle 4x10s

2 jensen 3 way box speaks

2 15" Orion 2NT subs in 6.2 cubes of ported glory...

We're planning on running the front driver door speaks and the jensen box speakers with the amp, and the "middle" 6 1/2's and the Pyle 4x10's running on the HU.

My questions... Does the Suburban, to power all 6 speakers (well 8 counting the tweets in the front door, but 6 in our case now) Use a "series" type thing to power more than 1 speaker per channel, or can I just hook into the wires in the dash, as that wire will power one speaker? Can anyone suggest a link or something to show me the ins and outs?

AND... I will wire the sub amp with 4 gage and a Rockford Fosgate 1fd cap. Do you suggest a deep cycle battery addition to help with the massive draw that this amp has?

AND ONE MORE THING.... Am I missing anything important? Help me and my friend out, please. I don't want him go off of the deep end because his stereo isn't in yet.

And you all know how it feels to be without your stereo...

sell that stuff, and get some better stuff.....
Uh, yea, thanks... That helps a lot, ***. Not everyone is working with tons of money here! He thinks that is what is going to sound good, so by god, I am going to help him put it in. If he doesn't like how it sounds, he'll change it.

I just love how much help I've been getting lately. Nobody wants to mess around with the old stuff, just the 8 grand systems that are "cool."

Bastards.

One thing that will help is cutting down on the sheer number of speakers. There is no way in hell he is going to need that many, especially if he is amping 4 of them, and it will make the install way less complex. Just run the amp to the 4 Sony speakers and leave it be, put two in front and two in back. Plus, it will probably sound better only having 4 speakers all getting decent power than trying to power speakers off of an amp and 4 off of the HU.

There, I'm not a bastard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I agree with squeak!! Get rid of the Plye & Jenson. They will just add confusion to everything. And some REALLLLLLLLL KILLER SOUND! Not to shabby on the low end setup.

Hey! Thanks! That sounds alot easier. I'm thinking I'll at least run the Jensen box speakers off of the HU, he wants to use them when he is doing feildwork, you know point them out the back of the truck for some tunes... That makes it much simpler.

But the sub? Will I need that deep cycle?

Hey! Thanks! That sounds alot easier. I'm thinking I'll at least run the Jensen box speakers off of the HU, he wants to use them when he is doing feildwork, you know point them out the back of the truck for some tunes... That makes it much simpler.
Or you could get fancy; put a pair of quick-disconnect clips (like the factory wires use) on the wires that go to the rear speakers. Then he could quickly unplug the amp from the rear speakers and plug in the Jensen boxes........they'll sound much better off of the amp for when he is doing fieldwork, and they won't degrade the sound of the rest of the system when he is listening to it while driving //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just a thought.......

But the sub? Will I need that deep cycle?
Don't complicate it with hypothetical situations yet; Hook everything up and see how it does. Then decide what steps need to be taken to remedy the problem (if there is one).

you have rca cables and assorted screw drivers and such right? Along with plenty of screw to fasten it all down? How about some wire-ties to zip it all up and keep it neat?

Got a good sharp pair of crimpers/cutters? uhm...hmm..and a drill?

Thats about all I can think of....oh, and one of those cheapy 12 volt testlights...

Install is done! Sounds quite nice! Thanks for the help, guys! The new owner of all of my old wiring and my first pair of good subs is really happy with it. The install took 7 hours (Best Buy quoted 3 days, 350 bucks) with two people.

Don't ge me wrong it isn't a neat and clean install, but it works! The new owner now hates Best Buy very much and has become a recent fan of the song Get Low by Little John (for reasons 1000wrms and 2 ported 15's can only tell).

I told him before we started- once you go bass, you never go back. He agrees.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.