know anything bout mazda rx7?

'84 rx7...

first generation?

Well, first up, you've already got a potent car. Yes, rotary and all. Be careful with the engine, you don't want the darn thing to break on you. You're likely to swap engines before trying to repair it. You could look around for some rare engines, like the 3 rotor motor (500Hp is quite easy with the 3's) and then find a mechanic who's willing to undertake the daunting task of trying to fit it in that shallow engine bay.

If it was me, I'd just upgrade the blower to a slightly larger one, remove iar conditioning, heater, any electrical components that might be heavy.

I'ts really a quick car, just that technology has overtaken it. Transmission leaves much to be desired, but it was ultimately the tires that blew, not mechanics, that threw victory away for a racing friend.

I don't think it needs as much precision as the 3rd gen RX7 to exract max potential out of it.

it runs good now. is the factory motor pretty quick? could i put a cold air intake and exhaust to make faster?

Originally posted by hotown it runs good now. is the factory motor pretty quick? could i put a cold air intake and exhaust to make faster?
an aftermarket air filter like HKS superflow, K&N won't hurt anything except even worse gas mileage. Top that with free flowing exhaust, yes, you get more power, but you WILL see your mileage numbers drop really quick...

well here's what I think,

find yourself an amazing rotary engine mechcanic and tip him lots because they are hard to come by. Keep an eye on your turbos, they have a nasty habit of going bad and makes it real difficult.

rotary's are very tempramental in weather too......if its humid out they may not start...

and engine parts are kinda expensive.....and not many mechanics know about rotaries...

IF i bought it.........i would search around for an old chevy truck or sumthin with a 350 in it......then swap it in..... make it hella fast and cheap for parts.....

Originally posted by MopeDman rotary's are very tempramental in weather too......if its humid out they may not start...

and engine parts are kinda expensive.....and not many mechanics know about rotaries...

IF i bought it.........i would search around for an old chevy truck or sumthin with a 350 in it......then swap it in..... make it hella fast and cheap for parts.....
I wouldn't. Rotary engines are like 1/10th the prices of 4stroke engines in Asia. People simply swap to another rotary should one fail. The workmanship is so much more expensive than the engine itself.

If you could fit an FD 2 rotor, or perhaps the cosmo 3rotor...whoa, rice or no rice, mild tuning of the 3 rotor will yield 600BHP, and add that to such a light car = eating vipers for breakfast. (That is IF you can find any traction at all)

put a jspec racing motor in there, around 300hp, then a single turbo, bring that to 400+ and u got one hella rocket there. Stock turbo rx7's will do 140 in 4th gear if running good to give u an idea

Im not sure what engine they were using but at the world finals all engine class werent the last two cars racing both 1st gen RX7's. They beat out supras and vipers and everything.

There is Lotsa Modifactions that you can Undertake on your 1st Gen Rx-7, i Had one about 4 Months ago.. Very Fast, Get a Header, Exhaust, intake, New Injectors, make sure the Six Ports open at proper times, then you will have one fast machine. I could take 5.0L in it hard to belive, but its true, and it was Naturaly Asperated, No turbo. But Roterys are probibly the most Simplest engins out there... No Valves for exhaust or intake, Just Ports Nothing More or Less. A famous Quote "Redline a Day Keeps the Mechanic away" The Rotery should have a good redline once and a while to keep her runnin smoothly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.