kicker zx1500.1 probs

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rainelli
10+ year member

CView, FL
Ok I have an 01 buick lesabre I just bought an fi bl 15 and a kicker zx1500.1 and went to hook up the amp and as soon as I touched the power and the ground it sparked and im pretty sure it fried I hooked up my friends power acoustic on the same exact wires and it ran fine

The spark was the capacitors charging. BNIB amps, or ones that have been sitting disconnected for extended periods of time can be slow bled a charge for their capacitors with a trickle charger to avoid this. In 99.9% of the cases, the spark does nothing, in the .1%, the amp fries. When I connected my first power to my Warhorse, I thought I blew a hole in my bed. Thing sounded like a gunshot. I just knew the amp was fried (as I have heard plenty of KX1200.1 and ZX1500.1 pop and they weren't near as violent). Amp was just fine, it just has eleventy bajillion huge caps that needed to fill.

As previously stated, check your remote and/or any connections for looseness. Also check in-line fuse on power wire if there is one. When you heard the large pop, you may have fried that fuse. Never know.

I took the top off the amp everything seems fine. I hooked up 4gauge instead of 1/0. Made a new ground and it still sparks and at first their was little smoke. I hooked up my friends amp everything was fine. This is the second time this has happened with the same amp in 2 different vehicles with completely. Different wires. But when I touch the ground wire to the chaises it sparks but when I pull off the protection light flashes for a split second. Im completlet lost the only thing I haven't tried is changing the remote I have a dam but don't really know how to use it. But I don't understand because my buddy amp worked fine but it just doesn't have enough powers for me. And u also haven't checked the rca's.

one thing that does happen witn many amps, is that there is a shot of power that makes it into the power control circuit and needs to discharge. it has happened to me half a dosen times over the years. it helps if you have a resistor of 100+ ohms and discharge the power terminals to the point there is no more voltage, and then the remote. then, you sometimes get lucky and it will work again, and sometimes it needs to sit for 1-4 days. another thing that also happens, s that the caps will go bad and that usually causes more damage. if it will do this every time, i would say there is damage. that would be different than the initial cap charging.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.