Kicker Warhorse

Check out what we got in today...1 warhorse and 12 15" l7's. its gona be our show room box or a big truck. havent decided yet.

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

I've read MakeShift's posts 10 times, while looking at the picture... All I can say is wow, to be able to decypher the amp just from guts and basic specs/info... MakeShift, you understand amp building better than most of us ever will.

I still don't really get it, but here's a dumbed down version, as I understand it. Please correct anything you see wrong, so I can learn things properly.

- The Warhorse works similar to a normal Class D, in that it takes the analog signal (after processing) and changes it into a PWM "digital" signal.

- Instead of switching the power supply-fed high voltage rails (30-150V DC), it switches the 12V low rail, directly. This happens under the 4 Kicker stickers.

- The +-12V PWM signal is run through a transformer that amplifies the +-12V to +- 70V DC(high volt), which emulates a similar analog AC signal.

So this would require high-current/low voltage switching components, since the output is transformed. Not sure if these are more/less expensive, but I imagine they could be more reliable and efficient.

Question: I see a big wire running across the toroids at the bottom. Is the +-12V signal run through the transformer twice, to step up the signal incrementally, or do they just have an odd way of reconnecting with the board?

Your a little off. The switched 12V+ is sent to some special 19:1 planar type transformers (the big ass oval shaped mugs) which do all the stepping up and impedance matching (see "balun" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balun ) then the output signal is passed to the ROUND (torroid is a shape, not a part) inductors which are part of a inductor/capacitor filter circuit that help to turn the square modulated wave back into something that will resemble a sine wave (music). The DSP is fed a constant feedback signal from the output to adjust the modulation of the mosfets in whatever manner necessary to minimize distortion and keep the output signal looking like the original INPUT signal from the RCA connectors.

Thats quite alot of good info on this amp. Its deff something different. Its gona be fun hooking up all those to that amp, esp bc of the way they wire to the coils. Were probably gona be running these in a big sound room, anyone got any good ideas for power supply? I read that article and it told me a little bit, but any ideas would be nice to add onto what we've come up with so far.

**** ton of paralleled powersupplys?
Like 8 100 amp ones? lol

nG
Haha thats kinda close to what we've come up with so far. Were trying to work with battcap and strap a bunch of battcaps together on top of the supplies. It says it needs 2 200 amp alts and 8 good batteries. We just got it today so everything is still up in the air. but it would be pretty cool to walk into a room and get hit with 12 15's on a warhorse.

Thanks for the clarification, db-r.

Sorry about calling them toroids, I've had to wind inductors... or rather winding wire around toroids, to create inductors... My semantics ****, which means I need to do more reading on the subject. Either way, this is an informative thread.

Sorry my descriptions are kind of post-butchery looking. I'm not the greatest communicator. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Cool, I didn't know they had a proper name. We just called them impedance matching transformers. Learned something new.

No prob. Just thought I would mention this amp because I hadn't heard anything about it in a while and when I first seen it, I thought it was a really interesting new design and wanted to know how it did since it's been a little while since it was released now.

torroid is shape. When you wound an inductor, you wound wire around a core (probably powdered iron). Torroid is a shape, not a part. LOL... I know too much right? I used to say torroid too until someone corrected me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.