Kicker Solo x Blown voice coil, or worse?

Participant count
  • Participant list

FML
10+ year member

Extreme Lowwwwwws
Idaho
Hey guys. I picked up a couple solo x 12s last night, after testing one was found to have issues.

When power is applied, it just vibrates a bit (free air), and thats it. I tested both voice coils, both read fine at 2 ohms.

Does that 100% definitely rule out a blown VC, or no? I read a blown VC will read infinite ohms.

Also, I don't know how to remove the cone from the basket. All the info found on the process, people are removing it all already having a replacement cone kit, so they basically tear it out and ruin it. I searched all over the web for re cone kits, can't find any in stock anywhere. So my best bet is buying a new voice coil, so I need to remove it without damaging anything.

Any help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The cone assembly just lifts out of the frame. The only thing holding them together is the screws/bolts that mount the sub to the box.

Ok. And will the VC be visible just by lifting this out? Iv never taken one of these out. Or do I need to cut the spider out and all that?

Kicker stopped making the cones so they are very hard to find.

Its possible that the cone assembly (SPAIR) is not seated properly in the basket. There's a little pin on the back of the cone assembly that fits into a hole on the basket. Make sure that they are aligned properly and there are no gaps between the cone assembly and the basket assembly.

Yeah, those are discontinued. Not in stock, thanks though

Edit: unless you were supplying link for the photo, in that case, thanks again!

Ok. So do you think its likely that its something simple like that, considering readings from a quality meter read accurate 2 ohms from the terminals?

Or is it possible in that case, the VCs are fine, and there's a more, i don't know, un fixable issue such as a bad motor?

Ahh NoLoud4u... always makes me laugh when you reply to my threads, cuz normally if im asking questions, then im in a spot where theres currently No loud for me. Lol

Ok. So do you think its likely that its something simple like that, considering readings from a quality meter read accurate 2 ohms from the terminals?
Or is it possible in that case, the VCs are fine, and there's a more, i don't know, un fixable issue such as a bad motor?
Yes, I absolutely think it could be that simple but if its not at least you ruled out the possibility and can now move on to the next scenario.

In any case I officially call first dibs if you decide to sell.

Yes, I absolutely think it could be that simple but if its not at least you ruled out the possibility and can now move on to the next scenario.
In any case I officially call first dibs if you decide to sell.
Haha, are you talking about the good one or the one with issues, or both? Lol

I have some goodies i AM selling right now via CL. All mainstream stuff, But no garbage.

Kicker L7 15"

Alpine PDX 600.1

BNIB Alpine BTE 153 Bluetooth HU, 3 sets preouts. Newest model brand new.

And i may consider offing these solo x's, if they don't fit and the price is right.

Is the triple joint attached? Put it back together and try it
Triple joint....

Never dismantled one of these. Can you elaborate on what that is,what it.looks like and where its at?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.