Kicker CompR Sub keeps blowing! Please help!

fixual1

NY
Hello everybody..

So to start off, I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to car audio systems.. in fact, im quite new to it. Anyways, I went to bestbuy looking for car audio systems. I wanted to improve the bass in my car. So a audio tech from best buy recommended me these 4 items.

1000W (500W RMS) 12 inch Kicker CompR Subwoofer

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-compr-12-dual-voice-coil-2-ohm-loaded-subwoofer-enclosure-black/4969000.p?skuId=4969000

1200W Kicker AMP

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-cx-series-cxa6001-1200w-class-d-mono-amplifier-with-adjustable-kickeq-bass-boost-black/4781400.p?skuId=4781400

Metra 8AWG AMP kit

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-cx-series-cxa6001-1200w-class-d-mono-amplifier-with-adjustable-kickeq-bass-boost-black/4781400.p?skuId=4781400

And a Metra - Two Channel Line Output Converter (Best Buy audio tech said I needed it for my car model, which is a 2017 Honda Civic EX L)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-two-channel-line-output-converter/1265702.p?skuId=1265702

So I had it professionally installed by Geek Squad, paid another 100 for it, and it seemed like everything was set up correctly. Was working, sounded amazing. So the first day it blew. Im thinking thats most likely my fault because I blasted the volume to the max and didn't let it break in.... So i went to best buy and they exchanged it since I just got it. So the second one I got, I wasn't stupid with it. I didn't ever turn the volume up to distortion.. I kept it at no more then 28-30 volume (max is 40 volume), and the thing is.. I never even touched the gain. I left it at a comfortable (about) 20% gain. And a little bass boost. Fast forward 6 months, it blew again. I never abused this one. It doesn't make any sense.. I suspect wrong installation.. But it doesn't make any sense.. Can somebody help me out on what you think the problem is? Again.. I'm not a car audio expert by any means but I'm sure if I spent almost 800 bucks on a audio system, it shouldn't break in 6 months.. so I'm not sure whats wrong.

Hello everybody..So to start off, I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to car audio systems.. in fact, im quite new to it. Anyways, I went to bestbuy looking for car audio systems. I wanted to improve the bass in my car. So a audio tech from best buy recommended me these 4 items.

1000W (500W RMS) 12 inch Kicker CompR Subwoofer

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-compr-12-dual-voice-coil-2-ohm-loaded-subwoofer-enclosure-black/4969000.p?skuId=4969000

1200W Kicker AMP

Metra 8AWG AMP kit

And a Metra - Two Channel Line Output Converter (Best Buy audio tech said I needed it for my car model, which is a 2017 Honda Civic EX L)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-two-channel-line-output-converter/1265702.p?skuId=1265702

So I had it professionally installed by Geek Squad, paid another 100 for it, and it seemed like everything was set up correctly. Was working, sounded amazing. So the first day it blew. Im thinking thats most likely my fault because I blasted the volume to the max and didn't let it break in.... So i went to best buy and they exchanged it since I just got it. So the second one I got, I wasn't stupid with it. I didn't ever turn the volume up to distortion.. I kept it at no more then 28-30 volume (max is 40 volume), and the thing is.. I never even touched the gain. I left it at a comfortable (about) 20% gain. And a little bass boost. Fast forward 6 months, it blew again. I never abused this one. It doesn't make any sense.. I suspect wrong installation.. But it doesn't make any sense.. Can somebody help me out on what you think the problem is? Again.. I'm not a car audio expert by any means but I'm sure if I spent almost 800 bucks on a audio system, it shouldn't break in 6 months.. so I'm not sure whats wrong.
the kicker isn't the best sub for 1 but main 2 problems are kickers box is tuned to high and is probably to small for sub (covered that on the l7 or l5 thread read that) your other problem is the amp doesn't have a subsonic filter which u need horribly on a ported box thats tuned somewhere around 45hz.. so u really need a custom ported box tuned 32-36hz and amp with ss filter set at 28-32hz so sub doesn't play below box tuning.. will they warranty the sub? if not we can advise u on some much better options than kicker..

Yes kicker is replacing it.. Which leads to my next question.. What updates should I make to the system when I get my third (and hopefully final) one?

Yes kicker is replacing it.. Which leads to my next question.. What updates should I make to the system when I get my third (and hopefully final) one?
better box like i said only 1 real decent place to order ported box guy on ebay will make what ever u want like my box, i gave him dimensions and port length he made it.. good ported box not cheap., if u can u should sell the kicker and box and let us help u get good sub sundown sa comes to mind or ssa gcon.. u could sell amp too and get bigger 1, single ported sub with about 1k rms is nice, and u need ss filter on amp.. i suggest u get 4 ga wire i u staying in same power range (1k rms or less) or selling car in next few yrs, if keeping it and getting more power i suggest 2 or 0 ga wire and do big 3 wires under hood..

Another question.. Does the wiring kit make a difference. The one I have is rated 600W even tho the subs peak is 1000w..

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

I really don't want to give up the kickers.. They work well for me.. I just want to know why it keeps blowing..

1. Bass boost is distortion. Turn it off.

2. The gain is not a volume knob. Set it correctly. There are tons of threads in the knowledge base on how to do that.

3. And never go 8awg wire. Always do a 4awg minimum. Always go atleast 1 size larger than you need. You will upgrade again in the future.

4. Whats the XOver frequency set at on the amp?

5. Is your sub dual 2 ohm voice coils or is it dual 4? If its dual 2 they may have wired it to 1ohm at the amp and that amp cant handle that. I would take the sub out of the box and look at how the voice coils are wired and post pictures of the wiring and the readings from a digital multi meter.

The ohm loads on those Kicker prefabs are the nominal load to be run to an amp. If OP has the 2 ohm prefab, it's most either a d4 wired parallel or a svc 2. Whitedragon is right- turn off bass boost, learn how to set the gain and upgrade the wiring to 4 ga. Last but not least- ignore what boomingrandpa says, he is the village moron.

The ohm loads on those Kicker prefabs are the nominal load to be run to an amp. If OP has the 2 ohm prefab, it's most either a d4 wired parallel or a svc 2. Whitedragon is right- turn off bass boost, learn how to set the gain and upgrade the wiring to 4 ga. Last but not least- ignore what boomingrandpa says, he is the village moron.
so u think kicker ported box tuned at 45hz and amp with no ss filter and 8ga wire is good?, ok

the kicker isn't the best sub for 1 but main 2 problems are kickers box is tuned to high and is probably to small for sub (covered that on the l7 or l5 thread read that) your other problem is the amp doesn't have a subsonic filter which u need horribly on a ported box thats tuned somewhere around 45hz.. so u really need a custom ported box tuned 32-36hz and amp with ss filter set at 28-32hz so sub doesn't play below box tuning.. will they warranty the sub? if not we can advise u on some much better options than kicker..
better box like i said only 1 real decent place to order ported box guy on ebay will make what ever u want like my box, i gave him dimensions and port length he made it.. good ported box not cheap., if u can u should sell the kicker and box and let us help u get good sub sundown sa comes to mind or ssa gcon.. u could sell amp too and get bigger 1, single ported sub with about 1k rms is nice, and u need ss filter on amp.. i suggest u get 4 ga wire i u staying in same power range (1k rms or less) or selling car in next few yrs, if keeping it and getting more power i suggest 2 or 0 ga wire and do big 3 wires under hood..
here's an example of his boxes., u can get them shaped different or without carpet or terminals lower or higher tuning whatever.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGE-2-PORTED-SUBWOOFER-MDF-ENCLOSURE-FOR-AMERICAN-BASS-XR12-SUB-BOX/263177242969?hash=item3d46960959:g:keEAAOSwWflZ6V5G
Whats up grandpa?
Big homie, slow down with all the advice you giving. Is cool that you wanna help.. But you arent reading properly into the post nor asking questions first.

We dont even know what his box is tuned to.

Without a ss filter it could easily bottom out the sub, but if it blew in 1 day then it blew 6 months later.. That would mean the setup is overpowering or clipping the sub to hell.

A amp gasping for current will produce shiity power aka clipping.

Also i notice you keep recommending your box builder which is fine, but have you actually measured out your box specs to see if its correctly done.. Then again we all have our choice in box builder of which i myself would not order from ebay.

Honestly take a step back and respond accordingly.

Edit: also that amp is marketed at 600 watts rms @ 2 ohms.

That 8 gauge wire should be fine for a little while, if the amp was trying to pull to much power im sure best buy placed a anl fuse which would have blown by now.

Sent from my Moto G4 using Tapatalk

Whats up grandpa?
Big homie, slow down with all the advice you giving. Is cool that you wanna help.. But you arent reading properly into the post nor asking questions first.

We dont even know what his box is tuned to.

Without a ss filter it could easily bottom out the sub, but if it blew in 1 day then it blew 6 months later.. That would mean the setup is overpowering or clipping the sub to hell.

A amp gasping for current will produce shiity power aka clipping.

Also i notice you keep recommending your box builder which is fine, but have you actually measured out your box specs to see if its correctly done.. Then again we all have our choice in box builder of which i myself would not order from ebay.

Honestly take a step back and respond accordingly.

Edit: also that amp is marketed at 600 watts rms @ 2 ohms.

That 8 gauge wire should be fine for a little while, if the amp was trying to pull to much power im sure best buy placed a anl fuse which would have blown by now.

Sent from my Moto G4 using Tapatalk
i know his wire is good for that amp he ask what upgrades i said if u get bigger amp and someone else said get bigger for upgraded later which i what i said.. i did measure my port and box before i put sub in it the 1st time, as i said in thread about box and here if u email him he will make whatever u want.. yes other builder like my neighbor how makes amazing boxes if u wanta wait 4 months., i was trying to get this guy a box tuned lower than 43hz since he doesn't have a ss filter on his amp and i have checked some of those kicker boxes they to small port is too small and tuned to high.. he said his gain was low but used boost but volume low on hu so idk about the clipping maybe, but as u said about asking questions idk what hu he has.. honestly sounds like main problem is sub., millions of refurb boxes like that on ebay $120 or so..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.