Kicker Amps?

Motokid
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
I started reading stuff on car audio awhile back, stopped for a bit because i didn't want to spend money on my system to upgrade but, things change :p

Question is, are Kicker amps worth the money. I"ve heard 'oh they are one of the best' then again i've heard they were way over priced, also that they were under rated on their wattage.

I have two kicker Comp 12" subs, cheap, i know. But I was thinking about buying a 500.1 Dx or 1000.1 Kicker amp, the 500.1 is around $250. I've also seen 1500.1 amps that run at 1ohm stable for about $150, I can't remember the name.

So im not quite sure if kicker amps are worth it, or if i can find something much better, with more wattage, and better quality for cheaper.

Also - I mentioned above I have 2 kicker comp 12", but im honestly thinking about getting 1 or 2 15" Kicker L7 subs. The square ones. Are those worth it? They are about $300-350 each, but I would have to move to a Kicker Zx amp.

Don't get me wrong, I love kicker, because of the brand, and everyone Im around day to day all they know is kicker, but are they a waste?

Thanks

I started reading stuff on car audio awhile back, stopped for a bit because i didn't want to spend money on my system to upgrade but, things change :p
Question is, are Kicker amps worth the money. I"ve heard 'oh they are one of the best' then again i've heard they were way over priced, also that they were under rated on their wattage.

I have two kicker Comp 12" subs, cheap, i know. But I was thinking about buying a 500.1 Dx or 1000.1 Kicker amp, the 500.1 is around $250. I've also seen 1500.1 amps that run at 1ohm stable for about $150, I can't remember the name.

So im not quite sure if kicker amps are worth it, or if i can find something much better, with more wattage, and better quality for cheaper.

Also - I mentioned above I have 2 kicker comp 12", but im honestly thinking about getting 1 or 2 15" Kicker L7 subs. The square ones. Are those worth it? They are about $300-350 each, but I would have to move to a Kicker Zx amp.

Don't get me wrong, I love kicker, because of the brand, and everyone Im around day to day all they know is kicker, but are they a waste?

Thanks
Kicker amps are very nice amps, not a lot of people like that they only wire to 2 ohms but they are efficient and make good power. They are over priced if you are buying new models or retail prices but there are good amount floated around at good used prices. The L7's are ok subs but not any where close to that $300 you can get something that will blow them away for that price. All in all kicker isn't bad at all if you can get it at a nice price but new no way in hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The amps are good but you can get better subs, what's your budget for amp and subs? How many subs and size? Give us a total budget and we can make recommendations.

Kicker amps are very nice amps not a lot like that they only wire to 2 ohms but they are efficient and make good power they are over priced if you are buying new models or retail prices but there are good amount floated around at good used prices. The L7's are ok subs but not any where close to that $300 you can get something that will blow them away for that price. All in all kicker isn't bad at all if you can get it at a nice price but new no way in hell.

I appreciate your feedback! Yeah, i've yet to find any decent deals on Kicker amps, most people will charge $200-225 for a brand new $250 500.1 amp. The Kickers just look sick in general, I love it but, what would be comparable or even better for $300? Also the amp I remember is a MB Quart DSC 1500.1 or something, its a Class D mono I believe and its about $150 and apparently is stable at 1ohm, but I dont think I need to worry too much about 1 ohm, im sure most of the stuff i'll ever push will be 2-4 ohm

The amps are good but you can get better subs, what's your budget for amp and subs? How many subs and size? Give us a total budget and we can make recommendations.
Im just not sure about the Zx or Dx amps, I just know it really depends on the subs. And honestly I don't know yet, nothing crazy, not some $1,000 system, but I know the Kicker l7 15" are about $300 for a 2ohm. So I guess around $3-500 for subs, plus a decent amp.

Also on the amount of subs, probably 2 of either 12" or 1-2 15" it just depends on the pricing and how much I will actually get out of the subs. Honestly my kicker comps don't sound bad, but its just a homeaide box a dual 400 watt amp from wal mart. Its a cheap setup but it doesn't sound terrible. I just want to upgrade

What's your goal? To be loud enough to make your ears bleed, sound quality, or a mixture of both?

If you want sheer loudness, I'd go with 2 American Bass XFL 12s and a 2000-3000 watt amp such as this: AQ2200D Amplifier

A cheaper and more practical option would be a single XFL 15 or the SSD15 mentioned by Sonic on an amp in the 1000-1500w range.

Also make sure to get a nice ported box built. The box makes a huge difference.

Much bigger going to need an extra battery but absolutely well worth the money and on sale.

AQ2200D Amplifier

If you don't have the money to go as big as the 2200 but a stout little amp.

Q1-1200D Amplifier

subs to match 2200-

Sub Woofers - Incriminator Audio - Death Row - SSA STORE

Sub Woofers - SoundSolutionsAudio - ICON - SSA STORE

Fi SSD Series Sub Woofers | Fi SSD Subwoofer

American Bass - XFL Series

subs to match 1200-

Obsidian Car Audio

Subwoofers - SA Series - Sundown Only

Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 15" Subwoofer

Sub Woofers - SoundSolutionsAudio - GCON - SSA STORE

all of these subs will take alot more power you could even put the 2200 on a pair of the 1200 sub list you just have to be careful with you gains but all of them will make a nasty system total.

What's your goal? To be loud enough to make your ears bleed, sound quality, or a mixture of both?
If you want sheer loudness, I'd go with 2 American Bass XFL 12s and a 2000-3000 watt amp such as this: AQ2200D Amplifier

A cheaper and more practical option would be a single XFL 15 or the SSD15 mentioned by Sonic on an amp in the 1000-1500w range.

Also make sure to get a nice ported box built. The box makes a huge difference.
I've noticed the box makes a huge difference, the one i had before with my kicker comp's was ****, once i put time and money into a better box with a few dividers made a massive difference.

My goal would be a cobination of both. Im 18, i'm still in highschool, i enjoy to show off to my friends. If i can get by with a 1 12-15" sub and be just fine, im happy. With a ssd 15 being about $300 I would only go with one of thoes. And most likely only 1 12, being that I would be spending $300+ on 1 sub, my budget to buy a big amp I could only get 1 great sub and a good amp. Not 2 x 12 + a good amp!

But I appreciate the feedback, I'll keep looking into the Qubed amps and SSD 15's, i've heard they are pretty sick.

Much bigger going to need an extra battery but absolutely well worth the money and on sale.AQ2200D Amplifier

If you don't have the money to go as big as the 2200 but a stout little amp.

Q1-1200D Amplifier

subs to match 2200-

Sub Woofers - Incriminator Audio - Death Row - SSA STORE

Sub Woofers - SoundSolutionsAudio - ICON - SSA STORE

Fi SSD Series Sub Woofers | Fi SSD Subwoofer

American Bass - XFL Series

subs to match 1200-

Obsidian Car Audio

Subwoofers - SA Series - Sundown Only

Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 15" Subwoofer

Sub Woofers - SoundSolutionsAudio - GCON - SSA STORE

all of these subs will take alot more power you could even put the 2200 on a pair of the 1200 sub list you just have to be careful with you gains but all of them will make a nasty system total.
Thanks for the reply man, appreciate the feedback. Just as I replied to someone above, my budget isn't massive but enoough to grab a nice big amp and one 15 or 1 12, I can't really swing 2 12's at one time, but eventually i'd buy a second to make a pair, Ill check them all out, thanks man!

Love my kicker amp!

also would suggest looking into the sundown SA series subs, they sound great and will take plenty of extra power.

my .02

I'm kind of thinking about going with the Q1-1200D and 1X SSD 15. Maybe a 12 so I can have a pair of 12's in the future. Or i might just go with one single 15 or even 18. I'm not quite sure yet.

Don't touch the DX series amps, the ZX line is good, but buy them used. Don't pay retail. If you can find the older SX or KX series, even better. Amazingly clean and efficient amps.

There are better speaker selections in the price range of the L7, however.

I personally have several decade old KX series amps that have had 0 issues even when abused. Kicker will always be my amp of choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.