Kicker, Alpine, Focal or Ground zero speaker for sound quality?

as per the brand stated, which one is the best in terms of sound quality and durability?

Please don't waste your money on thousand dollar drivers until you have a proper knowledge of installation and tuning. Get a set of the Alpine Type R componants and call it a day. Then spend the next year figuring out how to seal up a door, dampen all thd vibrations, tune using your EQ, etc.

Once you have done that, graduate to something more expensive. The investment in drivers isn't worth it without the experience and know-how to properly install the speaker.

For reference I run the Hertz Mille legend 3-way setup. If I didn't know how to properly install things(still not perfect actually, I'm learning every time I mess with the system) I would be Hella disappointed with the money I spent.

Matt

Please don't waste your money on thousand dollar drivers until you have a proper knowledge of installation and tuning. Get a set of the Alpine Type R componants and call it a day. Then spend the next year figuring out how to seal up a door, dampen all thd vibrations, tune using your EQ, etc.

Once you have done that, graduate to something more expensive. The investment in drivers isn't worth it without the experience and know-how to properly install the speaker.

For reference I run the Hertz Mille legend 3-way setup. If I didn't know how to properly install things(still not perfect actually, I'm learning every time I mess with the system) I would be Hella disappointed with the money I spent.

Matt
you are right but am looking for the speaker which excel(or slightly better than the other) even without a masterclass installation. e.g, when listening to those X vs X on youtube, you can hear the difference. so, wanted to have reviews from those who have listen to different speakers and can provide their views on which is better.

well, there are 3 models in alpine. E, R, G and X . E around 55 USD. G around 115 USD. R around 200+ USD. the X are around 440+ USD.
He is talking about the r models that said the x are very nice as well and the type s is one step down from the r line and are known for having a more authoritive midbass.

Recently I've run Memphis sixfive viv components and they sounded fine, I swapped the mids for silver flutes wool cone 6.5mids because the flutes are more bass heavy. The tweeters on the Memphis are nice an laid back and not in your face loud.

Since I like my $70 silver flutes I will likely be tossing a set of DD at28 tweeters to replace the Memphis. Mostly because they should fit my pods nicely and I know the dd sound nice

Last edited:
I'd take Kicker off the list. Focals are great if you get into their higher end stuff. Alpine Type S & R are pretty good for the money. Type X is good if you're willing to spend that much.

you are right but am looking for the speaker which excel(or slightly better than the other) even without a masterclass installation. e.g, when listening to those X vs X on youtube, you can hear the difference. so, wanted to have reviews from those who have listen to different speakers and can provide their views on which is better.

Your definition of "excel" and mine will be vastly different.

What amp will power them? What kind of vehicle is this going in? Where is your factory tweeter location? Are you going to run a subwoofer or just upgrade door speakers?

The issue here is simple: a $200 set of comps can sound just as good as a $2000 set of comps if the install is proper. A $2000 set of comps will sound like a $20 Walmart special with a bad install.

Like I said, the Type-R comps are decent. Focus on your install more than your speaker 90% of a sound system is install and tuning. Specific speakers have the smallest impact on sound quality and performance compared to everything else in a stereo system.

Matt

Your definition of "excel" and mine will be vastly different.

What amp will power them? What kind of vehicle is this going in? Where is your factory tweeter location? Are you going to run a subwoofer or just upgrade door speakers?

The issue here is simple: a $200 set of comps can sound just as good as a $2000 set of comps if the install is proper. A $2000 set of comps will sound like a $20 Walmart special with a bad install.

Like I said, the Type-R comps are decent. Focus on your install more than your speaker 90% of a sound system is install and tuning. Specific speakers have the smallest impact on sound quality and performance compared to everything else in a stereo system.

Matt
Already have a dual sub in the trunk.
Its a mazda 3 sedan.
already have 4 coaxial speakers in the 4 doors.
have 2 tweeters in the dash board and 2 behind the back seat.
all speakers are and will be powered by a 4-channel pioneer amp of 100 watt RMS each.

"""a $200 set of comps can sound just as good as a $2000 set of comps if the install is proper""". i dont think so as many expensive speaker means higher end and higher quality. dont think a 200$ infinity/focal/alpine/hertz speaker will sound as great as their upper lines which cost 2000$ +. or even a 200$ kenwood will sound as great as a 2000$ JBL

Last edited:
Seriously though even cheap components can sound good in a good install...any of the brands you listed can be really good or flat out terrible if the install is bad...right now I got a set of 6.5 yellow Pyle mid bass in my rear door while I get the doors done up...I paid $20 bucks for the set because I honestly don't think anything would sound much better to me on a stock door with a mdf ring 😂

Seriously though even cheap components can sound good in a good install...any of the brands you listed can be really good or flat out terrible if the install is bad...right now I got a set of 6.5 yellow Pyle mid bass in my rear door while I get the doors done up...I paid $20 bucks for the set because I honestly don't think anything would sound much better to me on a stock door with a mdf ring 😂
tell me, whats normally the range allowed in a HPF set on an amp?

I got my hpf set around 200hz on my components up front and about 100hz on my rear doors...that's what works with what I'm running...but every system going to be set to what sounds right to the equipment and car...no two will be exactly the same...

i have the below amp

its powering 4 pioneer speaker model 1675v2 which runs within 35 Hz to 20 kHz. ive set HPF on the amp. so, where should i set the frequency knob?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...