Kenwood subs and amp smell

Participant count
  • Participant list

myriad360

Just some info, I've got a kac-9105d amp and kfc-w3013ps, moved over from my old Jeep Cherokee to the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. The subs are new, replacing some 12 year old 12" Kenwood subs. The Uconnect didn't have a RCA/sub channel out, so I had to buy a Line Out Converter and splice into my speaker wires in the back. I've wired the subs in the 2 ohm configuration. They can take 400 W RMS, and sub can put out 450 W per sub in this configuration (if my math is right). Could overpower the subs, but I think this is a common combination, and I've followed this guide to hopefully makes sure I'm not overpowering them: How to make the bass in your car sound its best.

The problem is, pretty much any significant volume at all causes a burned electrical smell to fill up the car. I've traced it as best as I can to the subwoofers.

Strangely, I didn't start having problems until the new car, which blew both of the old subs. The sub setup is the same, but I starting to suspect something in the new car. When the system is bumping for a while (~20 min), the car starts to alert that voltage is low (in the Jeep GC way of throwing strange errors : ) ). So I'm pretty sure I need an alternator upgrade. But I'm not sure if this low voltage could cause this problem.

I've heard that distortion can (and can't) cause subwoofer damage, from different sources. I'd say I'm pretty distortion free (although never perfect). But I have some other big player here. Any suggestions?!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.