Kenwood KDC-X996, Pioneer DEH-80PRS, or Alpine CDE-138BT

Participant count
  • Participant list

devast8r3436
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok guys time to start another system in my 99 Jimmy. Looking for the best HU for a reasonable price. Think I've narrowed it down to these three any input? I listen to rock music and will be running it threw front components, rear coaxial, with a single 12" sub. Using a four channel amp on the doors and a 2 channel amp on the sub.

I only ask cause the other two do have the android control. But it's all about sq anyway and like you said I can play sound through the AUX input. What is it that everybody likes so much about the Pioneer over the others? Not doubting just have never had the pleasure of using a higher end pioneer.

I only ask cause the other two do have the android control. But it's all about sq anyway and like you said I can play sound through the AUX input. What is it that everybody likes so much about the Pioneer over the others? Not doubting just have never had the pleasure of using a higher end pioneer.
It's probably one of the most top dog headunits released right now; Sound quality and all.

SO it is the one to have right now for sure then huh? Ok what amps would you use to go with it? I have always been a fan of Alpine for HU's and amps so are they still the better amp out?

SO it is the one to have right now for sure then huh? Ok what amps would you use to go with it? I have always been a fan of Alpine for HU's and amps so are they still the better amp out?
I wouldnt use anything Alpine except the Type R subs...

Why is that on the Alpine stuff?
Better can be had for the most part. I mean the PDX line is nice, but I didnt like my 1.600 much. Idk. You can get the same clean power for much less. The Type X and Type R subs are nice, but would rather have a sub built on the Type X motor. The new HUs are whatever to me. Especially when you have the 80PRS and the Kenwood.Of course this is all based on opinion. Someone loves Alpine and only runs it, but that person isnt me.

I gotcha, so what amps do you like then?
I was just thinking about that, and I am really not sure. I usually run older amps now. But MMATS is deff a great company. Zed Audio. The new JBL stuff is nice, but quite pricey for the power. Im really at a loss. Lol.

I was thinking the PDX line but they are high priced for sure lol. I have a MRX-F30 in my Toyota pickup that sounds good but it is powering coaxial speakers and I am going to put components in my Jimmy so I will need more power. I have a 2 channel Pioneer amp to push my Treo 12" sub so another good Pioneer would be ok but looking for some input as I want this setup to blow me away.Never heard of MMATS or ZED I'll look into them. JBL I tend to stay away from due to bad past experience.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.