Kenwood Head Unit Preamp Volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

MonkeysUncle

MT
Hey guys,

I picked up a Toyota Highlander that had a pretty decent factory JBL sound system in it. I probably would have left it alone, but I needed USB input for my iPod, so I installed a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 in it. This head unit plus a clever harness allowed me to use the preamp outputs to hook up to the factory JBL system. Then I got to thinking... I still have the head unit's four speaker outputs that are completely untapped. Maybe I ought to use them!

Since the vehicle is a hybrid and I don't want to mess around with the electronics too much or add the load of an amplifier, yet I wanted more bass and fuller sound, I installed some small 4-ohm Peerless 5 1/4 subs where I could fit them and hooked them up to the head unit's amplified outputs. The result is surprisingly full and well-balanced.

However, I think it could be better if I could find a way to adjust things so I can decrease the volume level going to the preamp signal (the factory, onboard amp that powers the JBL system doesn't have any adjustments) so that more of the load is going to the speakers powered by the head unit. In other words, I feel like when I turn the volume up to where the factory speakers are maxed, the ones the head unit is pushing are just starting to wake up.

I understand the limitations of my system and the choices I've made. I know that 5 1/4 speakers powered by a head unit are not a replacement for a real amp and a real sub. But I do think things could be tuned better if I could figure out a way to make the adjustments I described.

Does anybody know how to reduce the volume of the preamp output signal and/or increase the volume of just the head unit's speaker outputs? If so, I'd sure appreciate learning how to dial that in.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.